Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Board upload works... Publish server data files fails. "SPIFFS Upload failed!" (Solved) (Read 4488 times)
chlore

Board upload works... Publish server data files fails. "SPIFFS Upload failed!" (Solved)
Jun 27th, 2019 at 2:07am
Print Post  
"Publish server data files" consistently fails (using standard COM ports), I can upload my code to all the boards I have tried (using COM ports).  Everything was working until last night.  The only thing I did differently was finally login to Microsoft within the visual studio IDE so they would quit nagging me about the trial ending. I have 
updated Visual Micro to version 1906.26.0 in an attempt to remedy this issue. I did verify the existence of all the files mentioned in the Spiffs upload output (see attachment).  I attempted to copy the files to see if it was a permission issue and discovered I could only copy them if I replaced the last  forward slash with a back slash.  As the forward as last back slash as the last deliminator for the paths appears systemic I am dubious as to that being the root cause.  I tried executing the commands in the visual studio command window... How would I go about executing the commands directly to test the forward slash theory?

-chlore

System: 
Win7, 
Visual Studio 2019 community, 
Visual micro 1906.26.0
Python 3.7 (3.6 appears to also be installed) 

Edit:

Solved: Reinstall Python 3.7, restart visual studio.
See post #16
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:12am by chlore »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Board upload works... Publish server data files fails. "SPIFFS Upload failed!"
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Thanks, can you confirm it does work through the Arduino IDE on the same setup, same project?

Please also follow the guide in yellow above and post a full output so we can see your toolchain configs

Thanks

ps: It is possible the mkspiffs.exe is missing. Please delete "C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\esp8266" and then reinstall esp8266 via board manager.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2019 at 5:29pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

chlore

Re: Board upload works... Publish server data files fails. "SPIFFS Upload failed!"
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 1:45am
Print Post  
I have confirmed that mkspiffs.exe does indeed exist @:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\ru3henro.cop\ESP8266FSUpload.exe"
Other steps i have taken:
I have deleted every trace of arduino and reinstalled. Both in local users folder and "Program Files (x86)".  I reinstalled visual micro.  I used the visual studio visual micro explorer to install libraries... now the libraries cannot be found in spite of the fact they are displayed under the "installed" tab... compiling using the Arduino ide does indeed work.  I attempted to install on my puny wn10 laptop... but I think it is too memory constrained to properly run visual studio... I also installed on my win10 gaming rig and everything works.  I did make sure to turn off sync settings (damn you microsoft) this time i am still running a "trial" instance on the rig as I have not "signed in"... will update when i do "sign in".  Since using the gaming rig is out i am back to attempting to get my lab pc working. 

Of note all my libraries are being installed to my users "~\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\"
while I clearly have only have "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino" listed as my IDE location.  

-chlore

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 2:16am
Print Post  
The arduino ide and visual micro install non-arduino tool chains called packages in the temp user folder. We wouldn't normally have permissions to access program files and the downloaded content need not be considered a part of the arduino ide.

The arduino ide is mainly irrelevant because you have opted to use esp hardware. The esp hardware will install its own libs with its core in the arduino15\packages area. Your own library installations will go to my document\arduino\libraries.

Please follow the yellow guide at the top of this page so that we can see your settings. Also, in the Arduino IDE, switch on File>Preferences>Compile Verbose and Upload verbose then upload and post both outputs from VM and Arduino as txt files.

This will give us a full picture and show what is wrong. Also confirm that you do not have the serial window open when you attempt upload in Visual Micro. I can't recall if that is supported or not.

IP Logged

chlore

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Attached are the requested files... I have included two

1. VS VisualMicro: "Deep Search" ON and then OFF      (fail) 
2. Arduino IDE (1.8.9)                                                (success)

Note: After examining the files it seems there is another location where libraries were being stored
"C:\Users\chlore\Documents\Arduino\libraries\"

-chlore

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The Arduino IDE output does not include verbose. In Arduino please switch on "File>preferences>compile verbose" then post the output again. Thanks

The "C:\Users\chlore\Documents\Arduino" folder is called the Arduino SketchBook folder. By default it is documents/arduino. When you install libraries with the Arduino IDE they are installed into SketchBook\Libraries folder. This is why you can see "C:\Users\chlore\Documents\Arduino\Libraries"

Visual Micro should use a library that is provided with the board core if it exists otherwise it should find the library in "C:\Users\chlore\Documents\Arduino\Libraries" it if exists otherwise it will look in "arduino ide program folder\libraries" folder.

When I see the full arduino output we will see if a library from "C:\Users\chlore\Documents\Arduino\Libraries" is found by mistake instead of from the "Board Core \Libraries" folder. If this is the case we can easily fix but first let's see the clear picture please.

Thanks

IP Logged

chlore

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Ok.  Attached is the verbose output of the the Arduino IDE.
-chlore

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Please submit the visual micro verbose output as shown at the top of this page. Your previous output was with deep search switched off. You must not switch that off unless you know how to #include libs in Arduino code.  Please switch on deep search otherwise you have missing libraries.

IP Logged

chlore

Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Since I only had two slots for attachments I pasted the deep search off under the deep search on.  The deep search on is  short with an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" exception.  I have attached the deep search on output.

BTW: My current mode of operation is to use visual micro to code since intelli-sense and code navigation are so useful and then drop out to the Arduino IDE to compile and upload...

-Chlore
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2019 at 11:06pm by chlore »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Bit of a lame suggestion but it will show a lot ....

Delete C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\esp8266
Delete or rename, C:/Users/chlore/Documents/Arduino/Libraries

Then reinstall esp core in board manager and any libraries you need.

Does this fix?

IP Logged

chlore

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 12:51am
Print Post  
So that um broke things real good... Smiley attempting to install libraries using visual micro results in the following error message:  "Unable to install the new library: Could not find a part of the path."   

Fortunately all i need to do is restore from Recycle bin... Im getting the feeling I may be in for a full arduino/vs/vm reinstall... under a new account... and the case for a virtual machine tool-chain is strengthened.

-chlore

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Hi,

This means you have an incorrect path in the SketchBook location in the IDE locations window or in Arduino IDE file preferences.

Please clear the paths so that the default is used.

We use the same system as the Arduino IDE when you install libraries. Libraries are zip files that are simply expended into SketchBook\Libraries folder.

The SketchBook folder normally defaults to myDocuments\Arduino so this means that libraries are upacked into myDocuments\Arduino\Libraries

If you can't install a library then I would not try to undelete previous libraries but fix the problem.

« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:31am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

chlore

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
So i uninstalled everything.  
Visual Studio, Visual Micro, Arduino
After uninstalling i either verified the following were removed and if not I directly deleted:

C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio
C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio Services
C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VSApplicationInsights
C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VSCommon
C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\Arduino15
C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\Temp\*
C:\Users\chlore\Documents\Arduino\libraries
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino

rebooted.

Reinstalled Visual Studio community 2019
Reinstalled Arduino 1.8.9.
Used the Arduino IDE to install additional boards  (ESP32, ESP8266, Teensy) and libraries.
Installed Visual Micro using the gallery.

Result:
Exactly the same.  Arduino compiles.  Visual Micro fails directly after "deep search... object not set to a reference of that object"  

Of note:
I was "required" to sign in to my microsoft account... (insert explicates here... and a bunch of rantings...)  i used my same account... so all my personalized exceptions were persisted across all my devices. Oh wait...

-chlore
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2019 at 12:34pm by chlore »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Reinstalling applications will not help. It's simpler than that.

Did you remove your libraries and core and reinstall libraries as requested? Did you solve the library installer error?

IP Logged

chlore

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Yes the reinstall described above resolves the ability to install libraries using visual micro library install issue, however the deep search compile fail issue remains: I am still experiencing the error:

Quote:
Deep search for libraries ...
   Object reference not set to an instance of an object
     An error was encountered during the 'Deep Search' library discovery process.

Build failed for project 'testWiFiMgr'

I have not set or modified any settings from "default" other than whatever occurs when I login to my microsoft account.  Are these the proper default locations or is this a setting that is "persisted across my devices" for my convenience when logging into a microsoft account?

Note 2: 
Libraries installed using ArduinoIDE:
Download folder:C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\Arduino15\staging\packages
Install folder: C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages

Libraries installed using Visual Micro Explorer:
Download: C:\Users\chlore\AppData\Local\Arduino15\staging\libraries\
Install: C:\Users\chlore\Documents\Arduino\libraries 

Note:  my work laptop and gaming rig all have a working tool chain (VS2019, VM, Arduino) it is just my primary development PC I am having trouble resolving. 

-chlore

IP Logged

chlore

Reply #15 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Update: 
I have determined that the following setting results in the "Deep search for libraries ...
   Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error:

Compatibility:Compile Files In Project=False

Setting this to True restored the ability to compile and thereafter upload code.

I do remember setting this value when I was initially investigating this issue, however it is stated in the description that the default value is, in fact, False.  

I thought reinstalling would have restored all my settings to the originally installed (and working) values.  The only way I figured this out was comparing pictures of my at work settings page with the settings of the offending computer.  Where are these settings stored? How would one back up only the visual micro settings or reset them entirely to originally installed values? How would one go about resetting all settings in visual micro should another setting get changed to a crippling and obscure value. 

I digress, (But I am really interested in the answers so I can "start fresh" after experimenting with settings) 

So I am now back to the original error where i can compile, install libraries, upload except when I try to Publish Server Data Files I receive the following error: 

Publish server data files fails. "SPIFFS Upload failed!"

-chlore

IP Logged

chlore

Reply #16 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Solved.  It was a python issue.  

I executed the upload command displayed in the output window on the command prompt after substituting the full path for "python.exe" and was rewarded with a useful error message saying pyserial was not installed.  So the issue appears to be something modifying my python install. 

Solution: I installed the latest python 3.7 and it started working... only after I closed and reopened visual studio. 

Note: I still want to know about re-initializing all the settings.

-chlore

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Board upload works... Publish server data files fails. "SPIFFS Upload failed!" (Solved)
Reply #17 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info it will be useful.

We will look at why that settings fails to compile but yes it is better on.

To clear settings. If you are proficient with regedit then  remove or rename everything below the "hk_currentuser\software\visual micro" folder except the system folder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint