Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Debugging Tutorial Doesn't Work Properly (Read 1273 times)
Jeff H
Newbies

Debugging Tutorial Doesn't Work Properly
Aug 6th, 2019 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Hi-

I'm just starting to learn how to use the debugger but I'm following the tutorial and it isn't behaving as expected.  According to the tutorial it is supposed to pause the program at the breakpoint.  Mine just streams infinite information in the output. I'm using VS2019 and W10.   https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Debugging-Walkthrough-1.htm...;

11:44:52.341 [up:09s:511ms perf:244ms]   BlinkWithoutDelay.ino, line 49            millis()=9511
     Millis is currently 9511.
11:44:52.573 [up:09s:761ms perf:244ms]   BlinkWithoutDelay.ino, line 49            millis()=9761
     Millis is currently 9761.
11:44:52.889 [up:10s:011ms perf:244ms]   BlinkWithoutDelay.ino, line 49            millis()=10011
     Millis is currently 10011.

If I remove the automatic breakpoint and put my own in at the same spot it then does pause the program BUT it will not display the millis like the tutorial shows.  All I get is this:

Program Running 'BlinkWithoutDelay'
11:59:36.524    BlinkWithoutDelay.ino, line 49
BlinkWithoutDelay is paused at BlinkWithoutDelay.ino, line 49

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried VS2017 and Atmel Studio and they both behave the same.  I have tried uninstalling and resinstalling VisualMicro as well with the same results. 

IP Logged

Jeff H
Newbies

Re: Debugging Tutorial Doesn't Work Properly
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Forgot to include the photo

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
We are improving the docs at the moment. When you add a message to a breakpoint visual studio automatically enabled the "Continue Execution" checkbox on the same place you set the message or watch expressions.

The checkbox is the difference between a trace point and a breakpoint.

Does this help?

IP Logged

Jeff H
Newbies

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Ok I got it-

Currently the debug tutorial is not complete.  When the automatic breakpoint is inserted it actually makes it a trace point. It also automatically fills in some of the required information to get millis to display on the output log.   

To make it behave like the tutorial you need to right click the automatic breakpoint and select "Conditions" Scroll down inside the blue box and uncheck "Continue code execution"   

To get millis to show up on manual breakpoints you need to right click the breakpoint and select "Actions" and paste in "Millis is currently {millis()}."

Thank you for your help!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks! yes we are going to update, especially now that support for older VS versions has ended. The breakpoint window used to work a  different way.

more info...

The automatic breakpoint was moved to tracepoint because some new users did not see the F5 continue message and did not understand why their program stopped working. 

The automatic breakpoint only appears if you have Tutoria Mode enabled and have not created a breakpoint yourself.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint