Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Unable to Upgrade on VS 2015/2013 but still getting Nag Screen (Read 3076 times)
PedroR
Newbies

Unable to Upgrade on VS 2015/2013 but still getting Nag Screen
Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I have been using Visual Micro on Visual Studio 2013 and 2015, for which I have licenses.

I am now getting the Nag Screens saying I must update the software everytime I compile and some functions do not work anymore. (such as Serial Monitor)

However, when I go to Visual Studio Gallery and download the update it says there are No eligible products for upgrade.
It appears the VSIX is only for VS2017 and 2019.

What does this mean? I need to buy a license of VS 2019 to be able to continue using Visual Micro?
This makes no sense!

I am perfectly happy with the version that I have (of Visual Micro), if you're not supporting upgrades on older VS versions.
However I need the nag screens to go away.

Please advise as this makes no sense: your product demands that I upgrade but you don't supply an appropriate upgrade.

Thank you
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:30pm by PedroR »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Unable to Upgrade on VS 2015/2013 but still getting Nag Screen
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
It's not clear which version of the extension for 2013/15 you have installed but there was a change earlier in the year that announced you must uninstall the older version and install from the new gallery page for older IDE's. This is the link.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualMicro.ArduinoIDEforVis...

If you required support and help, such as re-activate an old purchased key, then please use the automated service to ensure you have purchased the annual support. There are two links lower in the page one for commercial licence users and one for hobby/student. https://www.visualmicro.com/page/shop.aspx

Thanks

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2019 at 8:04pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

PedroR
Newbies

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information.

I've updated and now I'm actually WORSE than I was was.
Can't compile anything.

Keep getting the error: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'c:\arduino-1.0.6\hardware\arduino\libraries\Wire'.

I have made sure my IDE is set up as Arduino 1.0 (which is the one I'm using 1.0.6)

Two things I noticed:
- When I set up the IDE, I select Arduino 1.0 and enter the folder and it gets saved as Arduino 1.6/1.8
- I then re run the menu to add a new toolchain, and the second time, selecting Arduino 1.0 works.

SO now, I have Arduino 1.0 selected and toolchain reload.

Try to compile, get that error.

The actual location of the Library in Arduino 1.0 is C:\arduino-1.0.6\libraries\Wire

Don't know why it's decided to scan inside the hardware subfolder.

Can you pls advise?
I can't compile anything now which is "terrific"!

Thank you

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
The buy window has been promting for a few years now and might have avoided your time waste.

Can you please follow the guide in yellow above so we can see your settings.

Thanks

IP Logged

PedroR
Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Here's is the output whenever I try to compile. Verbose is enabled:

Board Properties
name=Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5V, 16 MHz) w/ ATmega328
upload.protocol=arduino
upload.maximum_size=30720
upload.speed=57600
bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
bootloader.path=atmega
bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex
bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
build.mcu=atmega328p
build.f_cpu=16000000L
build.core=arduino
build.variant=standard
runtime.ide.path=c:\arduino-1.0.6
runtime.os=windows
build.system.path=c:\arduino-1.0.6\hardware\arduino\system
runtime.ide.version=106
target_package=arduino
target_platform=avr
runtime.hardware.path=c:\arduino-1.0.6\hardware
originalid=pro5v328
intellisense.tools.path={runtime.hardware.path}\tools\
l;
recipe.cpp.o.pattern=
recipe.c.o.pattern=
recipe.s.o.pattern=
vm.platform.root.path=E:\Programas\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\i2tzvqmx.3rs\Micro Platforms\arduino10x
avrisp.name=AVR ISP
avrisp.communication=serial
avrisp.protocol=stk500v1
avrispmkii.name=AVRISP mkII
avrispmkii.communication=usb
avrispmkii.protocol=stk500v2
usbtinyisp.name=USBtinyISP
usbtinyisp.protocol=usbtiny
usbasp.name=USBasp
usbasp.communication=usb
usbasp.protocol=usbasp
parallel.name=Parallel Programmer
parallel.protocol=dapa
parallel.force=true
arduinoisp.name=Arduino as ISP
arduinoisp.communication=serial
arduinoisp.protocol=stk500v1
arduinoisp.speed=19200
runtime.vm.boardinfo.id=pro5v328
runtime.vm.boardinfo.name=pro5v328
runtime.vm.boardinfo.desc=Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5V, 16 MHz) w/ ATmega328
runtime.vm.boardinfo.src_location=c:\arduino-1.0.6\hardware\arduino
ide.hint=For use with Arduino 0023 and 1.0.x versions
ide.location.key=Arduino
ide.rewrite=disabled
ide.contributions.boards.allow=false
ide.contributions.boards.ignore_unless_rewrite_found=true
compiler.path=
ide.location.ide.winreg=Arduino 1.0.x Application
ide.location.sketchbook.winreg=Arduino 1.0.x Sketchbook
ide.location.sketchbook.preferences=sketchbook.path
ide.location.sketchbook.default=%MYDOCUMENTS%\arduino
ide.location.preferences=%VM_APPDATA_ROAMING%\arduino\preferences.txt
ide.default.package=arduino
ide.default.platform=avr
ide.multiplatform=true
ide.includes=Arduino.h
ide.platformswithoutpackage=true
ide.includes.fallback=wprogram.h
ide.extension=ino
ide.extension.fallback=pde
ide.versionLTEQ=149
ide.exe=arduino.exe
ide.hosts=atmel
ide.url=http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
vm.debug=true
software=ARDUINO
ide.appid=arduino10x
location.sketchbook=C:\Users\Pedro R\Documents\Arduino
build.core.path=c:\arduino-1.0.6\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino
vm.core.include=arduino.h
build.board=AVR_PRO5V328
vm.boardsource.path=c:\arduino-1.0.6\hardware\arduino
runtime.platform.path=c:\arduino-1.0.6\hardware\arduino
vm.platformname.name=avr
build.arch=AVR
build.project_name=FornoEpoxy.ino
build.project_path=C:\Users\Pedro R\Google Drive\electrónica\Eagle Carlos\eagle\Forno\Arduino Code\FornoEpoxy
sketch_path=C:\Users\Pedro R\Google Drive\electrónica\Eagle Carlos\eagle\Forno\Arduino Code\FornoEpoxy
ProjectDir=C:\Users\Pedro R\Google Drive\electrónica\Eagle Carlos\eagle\Forno\Arduino Code\FornoEpoxy\
build.path=C:\Users\Pedro R\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBuilds\FornoEpoxy\pro5v328\Release
builder.noino=false
vm.runtime.compiler.cached_cores_path=C:\Users\Pedro R\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBCore\arduino10x
vm.runtime.compiler.showwarnings=false
vm.runtime.compiler.showwarnings_core=false
vm.runtime.compiler.showwarnings_library=false
vm.runtime.upload.verbose=false
vm.runtime.upload.verify=false
vm.runtime.build.intermediate_output_path=C:\Users\Pedro R\Google Drive\electrónica\Eagle Carlos\eagle\Forno\Arduino Code\FornoEpoxy\Release\
vm.runtime.build.final_output_path=C:\Users\Pedro R\Google Drive\electrónica\Eagle Carlos\eagle\Forno\Arduino Code\FornoEpoxy\Release\
compiler.always_include_sketchfolder=true
vm.runtime.compiler.auto_discover_includes=true
vm.runtime.compiler.allow_library_debugging=false
serial.port.file=COM18
serial.port=COM18
serial.port.num=18
extra.time.local=1574973918
extra.time.utc=1574973918
extra.time.dst=0
extra.time.zone=0
vm.runtime.compile.skip_library_file_if_exists_in_project=false
vm.runtime.compiler.auto_discover_includes_cache=true
build.vm.build.vmdebug=0
build.vm.build.isgdb=0
build.vm.build.optimised=1
vm.last.buildpath=C:\Users\Pedro R\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBuilds\FornoEpoxy\pro5v328\Release

Compiling 'FornoEpoxy' for 'Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5V, 16 MHz) w/ ATmega328'
Build Folder: ase"
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'c:\arduino-1.0.6\hardware\arduino\libraries\Wire'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.MCUTargetPlatform.getImportedLibsOfSketch(List`1 importedSketchHeaders, Boolean canCache, SketchLibraryListUnSorted local_library_lookup_list)
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.MCUTargetPlatform.getImportedLibsOfSketch(List`1 importedSketchHeaders)
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.SketchBuilder.preprocess(String buildPath, PdePreprocessor preprocessor, Boolean PreProcessOnly)
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.SketchBuilder.preprocess(String buildPath, Boolean PreProcessOnly)
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.SketchBuilder._build(String lbuildPath, Boolean verbose, Boolean PreProcessOnly)
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.SketchBuilder._build(Boolean verbose)
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.SketchBuilder.build(Boolean verbose)
   at Visual.Micro.Visual.Studio.Arduino.AddInApp._CompileDo(Object oProject, Boolean IsDebugStartCommand, Boolean isRebuild, Boolean UseGdbIfAvailable)
   at Visual.Micro.Visual.Studio.Arduino.AddInApp.CompileDo(Object oProject, Boolean IsDebugStartCommand, Boolean isRebuild, Boolean UseGdbIfAvailable)
   at Visual.Micro.Visual.Studio.Arduino.AddInApp.Compile(Object oProject, Boolean IsDebugStartCommand, Boolean IsRebuild, Boolean UseGdbIfAvailable)

Not sure what you meant by the buy window: if the extension is buggy how is Buying going to help?

To be honest I did consider buying, several times, but 2 reasons demoted me:
- One was that I read that the debugging capability inserted extra code in the sketch which really wasn't helpful in my case.
- The other is that the nag screen really creates some antibodies: either it's an evaluation and stops working or it works. This setup of nag screens and disabling features if someone doesn't update, makes no sense to me.

Anyway this is beyond the point of this post.

I would imagine I am now unable to roll back to the previous version, so I guess I'm stuck now (even if I buy as this seems to be a bug).

Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2019 at 8:49pm by PedroR »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The nag screen is the prompt to purchase. I think you have seen many times for a long time Smiley It's only $20 and would have allowed to you stay on whatever version you wanted.

I have tested the 2013 from the Gallery and it builds fine so we need to look at your config to determine the issue.

Please zip and email your solution and project files to the email address above.

Most previous versions of Visual Micro are in the releases section of this forum. There was a change to the new extension back in april this year when Microsoft imposed some changes for VS2019 that were not compatible with VS2013. However as I said the current version is reported as working okay for many.

The debugger attributes you mentioned are clearly explained in the documentation and the nag screen as explained for a few years that the product is not free and the release notes give the requires purchase or update to continue a trial.

One thing that confuses me is what you say here

Quote:
What does this mean? I need to buy a license of VS 2019 to be able to continue using Visual Micro?
This makes no sense!

Where did you see this text? it is wrong. 

IP Logged

PedroR
Newbies

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Hi

Thank you for the reply.

I attached the files to this post and also sent a separate email.

With regards to my note about VS 2019, I had googled left and right and could not find your version for VS2013/2015.
I was assuming you were now only distributing the version for 2017/2019.
Hence my comment about getting a license for a newer version of Visual Studio. (I do other work on Visual Studio)

With regards to the nag screens, the only thing I would suggest then, is a heads up, say a week before you enter the state where you are forcing the update.
I get the nag screens and their motive. What I don't get is the sudden loss of functionality requesting to update without any advance notice.

Anyway I will look into purchasing as I don't want to go through this again.
You have also clarified that purchasing let's me _not_ upgrade which is what I want.
I was under the impression that I would have to go through forced updates no matter what.

To remind about my issue:

On opening the solution I get the message:
"Build validation failed for sketch 'FornoEpoxy': Could not find a part of the path 'c:\arduino-1.0.6\hardware\arduino\libraries\Wire'. Ide=Arduino 1.0"

When I try to compile I get the message I posted above.

Thank you for your help.

I will look around for files with previous releases to see if that helps.

I must add that the only thing I've done was uninstall the previous version (that was showing the request to update) and install this one.

My VS installation data:
Visual Studio 2015 V 14.0.24720 Update 1
My Arduino installation: Arduino 1.0.6

Best Regards
Pedro

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Hi

I think the problem is that in your code you have not used Arduino convention to #include the Wire library. I suggest using the Visual Micro Add Library menu to add libs to the code because that gives reminder of what is required.

The Wire library is the only #include that has this syntax in your code

Code (C++)
Select All
#Include <Wire/Wire.h> 

Should be

Code (C++)
Select All
#Include <Wire.h> 

I know Visual Studio tries to help and suggest how library includes can be but it doesn't realise that Arduino libraries do not work that way.

If you stil have a problem then please confirm that you do not have a folder called "arduino ide\hardware\libraries\wire"

Since a long time the Arduino library structures have changed so now it is important to stay with the pubished syntax.

Since April the regular notification in the IDE of new Visual Micro releases has informed people that an update is required and how to do that. You will find it useful to note that the best way to manage your extension is from within the IDE via "Tools>Extension Manager". The "Online" tab in the extension manager takes you to the correct version of Visual Micro for the IDE you are using.

For a very long time the nag screen has informed that you need to buy the product and more recently had displayed more verbose messages to inform you of "Last Chance"

I have to say that if you had spent the $20 you would have been able to stay on the same older version. When people have purchased they get to use whichever version they like.

Finally please note that free usage with people allowed to ignore the nag screen continued for many months, years when other products cease after the 30 day trial.

It's difficult to please everyone and older releases are here in the releases section of this forum so you have complete control over things. 

Let me know how it does.

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2019 at 10:12pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

PedroR
Newbies

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Hi

In revisiting this thread, I am back at the "you need to upgrade" message on VS2013.

This time I have gone online to VS gallery and tried to upgarde but it appears the version I ahve is already the latest from the VS gallery.

Therefore, there's no new version and yet, the plug in tells me I must upgrade.

The VS 2012-2015 plug in page (https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualMicro.ArduinoIDEforVis...) lists this:

Version
Released on
18/03/2019, 02:49:26
Last updated
18/03/2019, 03:19:25
Publisher
Visual Micro

I am assuming the problem is that the release is more than 1 yr old; yet there's no newer version for download.

Any advice other than upgrading the version of Visual Studio?

Thank you

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Sorry we missed this. The older versions for no longer supported IDE's are there for historic customers who want to remain on the older system. 

Buying a current license for Visual Micro will allow the older versions of Visual Micro to also work but it is recommended that users upgrade to newer IDE's. This is especially important when using of the latest arduino and 3rd party toolchains that were released after the older version of Visual Micro was released.

Unfortuntely major changes in V2019 made it impossible to continue to support 2012-2015 from the same code base (single testing environment).

IP Logged

PedroR
Newbies

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2020 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim

Thank you for the reply.

In our case, being an embedded development, we actually prefer to keep the IDE/Arduino version/toolchain because there's no feature or anything in newer versions worth the overhead of the upgrade. Therefore, we're fine with this version.

We'll proceed with ordering the License.

Best Regards
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2020 at 4:47pm by PedroR »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2020 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Makes sense, thank you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint