Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cannot debug Nucleo-F767ZI board... (Read 1937 times)
Indrid kold

Cannot debug Nucleo-F767ZI board...
Jan 10th, 2020 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
The debug session for my F767ZI board fails with a popup stating "Unable to start debugging. The value of miDebuggerPath is invalid". I'm Running VS2017 with vMicro 1912.28.1. I can upload using the onboard STLink. Using Zadiq I updated "ST-Link Debug (Interface 0)" from 2.1 to 6.1. There are 2 other ST-Link interfaces (USBSTOR and VCP CTRL) that I did not update. Prior to Zadiq update, I could connect to the ST-Link 2.1 using ST Cube Programmer, after update to 6.1 I cannot connect.

I am able to debug another board, an STM32F103, using an external ST-Link V2, and the V2 is detected by ST Cube Programmer.

Any assistance appreciated,
IK
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2020 at 2:10pm by Indrid kold »  

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Cannot debug Nucleo-F767ZI board...
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information so far and the driver installation sounds correct, but the tools used to connect aren't found is definitely a problem from the error.

Just to help us further, could you attach the contents of the Output Window:
1) "Micro Build" when you try to attach the debugger?
2) "Build" when you build the project? (with verbose options enabled as shown in yellow at the top of the page)

IP Logged

Indrid kold

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Apologies for not attaching those before. My 'Build' output is empty, both of the attached files are from 'Micro Build'. One from a Build and the other from Start Debugging. Thanks for the quick response, IK
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2020 at 6:14pm by Indrid kold »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the files, I can see I have forgotten to mention an option....

Can you set the vMicro > Uploader > Verbose to On and then try to attach the debugger again? 
(and attach the new log from Micro Build)

This should add some additional JSON output on the end, which will show more detail of where the issue lies.

IP Logged

Indrid kold

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Hello, the requested file is attached. Also attached is a screenshot of the directory structure around one of the tools directory. Indeed, the directory does not exist, the 'bin' subdir is missing. I did not create the _BAK directory, I'm not sure what application did. The non '_BAK' directory does have a 'bin' folder. If I copy the bin folder into the _BAK directory I get a different popup stating "Unable to start debugging. Unable to establish a connection to GDB. Debug output may contain more information." I've run out of attachment slots so I can't attach the micro output from that attempt. Thanks again for your assistance, IK

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Apologies for the delay, and thanks for the additional output and information.

Can you try re-installing the SAM or SAMD core which installed these tools? (not sure why the _BAK folder is there, and this is the main reason it isn't working as expected)

Once that folder is correct, and it contains the "bin" tools as expected, the board will also need an additional element (we will resolve in a future build), to ensure the target config is correct:

Right Click on Project
Add > Local Boards.txt

Add the entry "build.openocdscript=target/stm32f7x.cfg" to the Boards.txt file.

Once this is done the debugger should launch as expected...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint