Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic trouble creating local version of adafruit library (Read 1280 times)
jimf

trouble creating local version of adafruit library
Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Hi, I'm working with ESP32 and the adafruit seesaw library, which has a known bug....that has not been fixed for over a year.  I want to debug the adafruit seesaw library and am running into trouble.  Please bear with me:

The installed adafruit library is with the other installed libraries and exists in a folder named C:\Users\jimfr\OneDrive\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_seesaw_Library.

I have a solution in VS2019 named Temptester_ESP32 which I'm using to test different sensors for my project.  That solution has several projects, one of which is named soilsensor_example.  This project is the focus of my question.  soilsensor_example lives in C:\Users\jimfr\OneDrive\Arduino\My Examples\soilsensor_example.  I copied the Adafruit_seesaw_library into the soilsensor_example folder.  My code has the following include: #include ".\Adafruit_seesaw_Library\Adafruit_seesaw.h".  VS finds this.  When I'm peeking at definitions in the Adafruit_seesaw.h, it is looking into the local version (I added a comment to the header file to tell which one I'm looking at).  

getting to the problem:  when I build soilsensor_example, I get errors in the attached....indicating that there are duplicate definitions of the methods.  When I look at the External Dependencies folder in the Solution Explorer (for that project), it lists Adafruit_seesaw.h twice.  The properties for those dependencies show that one is pointing to the standard library and the other is pointing to the local library.  I tried to remove the external dependency listed for the standard library by right clicking and cutting it....but I get an error from VS "The operation could not be completed. Not enough memory resources are available to complete this operation."  I don't believe this....there are 8 gigs of available RAM.  I shut VS down, restarted, and got the same error.

Soooooo, my questions:
1) am I approaching this the correct way....creating a local copy of header and .cpp with the intent of debugging the .cpp?
2) If I am approaching this the correct way, then is deleting the external dependency of the installed library the way to go?
3) what should be my next steps?

many thanks.......jim

#include ".\Adafruit_seesaw_Library\Adafruit_seesaw.h"
#include <seesaw_servo.h>
#include <seesaw_neopixel.h>
#include <seesaw_motor.h>
#include <Adafruit_TFTShield18.h>
#include <Adafruit_NeoTrellis.h>
#include <Adafruit_miniTFTWing.h>
#include <Adafruit_Crickit.h>
#include <Wire.h>

//------- I2C bus define -------
#define I2C_SDA 21
#define I2C_SCL 22
TwoWire I2C = TwoWire(0); //---ESP32---

//-----soil sensor -------------
Adafruit_seesaw ss(&I2C);   //---ESP32---
//Adafruit_seesaw ss(0);    //---MEGA---
#define MoID 0x36

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  //Wire.begin(); //---MEGA---
  I2C.begin(I2C_SDA, I2C_SCL, 100000); //---ESP32---

Serial.println("seesaw Soil Sensor example!");

if (!ss.begin(MoID)) {
    Serial.println("ERROR! seesaw not found");
    while(1);
  } else {
    Serial.print("seesaw started! version: ");
    Serial.println(ss.getVersion(), HEX);
  }
}

void loop() {
  float tempC = ss.getTemp();
  Serial.print("tempC="); Serial.println(tempC);
uint16_t capread = ss.touchRead(0);

Serial.print("Temperature: "); Serial.print(tempC); Serial.println("*C");
  Serial.print("Capacitive: "); Serial.println(capread);
  delay(1000);
}
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:01pm by jimf »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: trouble creating local version of adafruit library
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 5:31am
Print Post  
Thanks for the report.

To ensure a specific library is in use, using the Shared projects functionality is the easiest way to avoid confusion / conflicts:
vMicro > Add Library > "Create Shared Project When Including Libraries" 

This is also shown in the below videos:
Control Arduino Libraries with Shared Library Projects
Debugging Arduino Libraries (Without Code Modification)

IP Logged

jimf

Re: trouble creating local version of adafruit library
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks.....that did it.  Because I wanted to debug a library that I didn't create, I also cloned it in the project.  I continued to get build errors until I added a new simple project to the solution, copied/pasted my code into the new project, added the library and cloned it to the project I just added, then removed the prior project that was getting the errors.  The build on the new project worked fine.  Thanks again.....jimf.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint