Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Avoid rebuild all on every debug session (Read 1303 times)
Egol

Avoid rebuild all on every debug session
Jun 1st, 2021 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
How can I avoid rebuild all on every small change I'm doing to only one file?
If I'm adding a breakpoint or change one what is the fastest way to reload it to the target? Must I rebuild all?
If I just want to restart a debug session when no change was done to the code or to the breakpoints, how can I do it?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Avoid rebuild all on every debug session
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Hi,

If you are using the serial/wifi debugger then you only need to open the serial monitor. Visual Micro keeps track of which projects were uploaded in debug mode, the serial monitor then uses the same configuration to know if a debug session should be started. Same applies to stop the debugger, disconnecting or closing the serial window stops the debug on the IDE side of things but the mcu will still be sending (or awaiting) debug commands until a Release build is uploaded. When opening/starting the serial monitor some boards reset if the Dtr button is enabled. In those cases you can use the Dtr to control if you want the board to restart or to continue when the serial connects.

For hardware debugging, using "Debug>Attach to Process" instead of a build/upload/debug command will attach to a running mcu. In this case, attaching to a board that does not have a debug build on it, might give a strange or useless debug experience.

IP Logged

Egol

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks for those answers.
I just left with one open issue from my post - every time I press the "build and upload" button all the files in my project are compiled, even if I did not change them, I expect that only the changed files will be rebuild and not all the files. No?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Are you sure all the files are rebuilt or maybe it is the deep search scan? Please follow the guide in the yellow box above so that we can see what is happening.

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint