Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ESP32S3 INO Debug (Read 1104 times)
Craig Stephan

ESP32S3 INO Debug
Jul 20th, 2022 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I am using an ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N8R2 as a core to a new project that I am working on. I am using Visual Studio 2022 with visual micro 22.06.11.

I am able to program the ESP32S3 with the integrated USB port, but I can not use ESP-PROG to program or debug ESP32S3 design.

Is there a way to run the debugger via the integrated USB on the ESP32S3?

If I program the ELF into the ESP32S3 with the integrated USB on the dev kit and then try to attach to a process, the operation fails. The screen shot is attached.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: ESP32S3 INO Debug
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Thanks for the report.

Debug via USB
The only way to debug via USB on this board is to use the vMicro Serial Debugger, which does not require an external probe (ESP-PROG):
https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Debugging-Walkthrough-Start...

Debug via ESP-PROG
Please downgrade the esp32 board package to v2.0.3 from the Micro Explorer.  We will continue to investigate why v2.0.4 does not seem to work at present.

Upload via ESP-PROG
If you add the additional line to the local board.txt this should work with the upload (we have amended the ESP32S2/S3 documentation page)
Code
Select All
# Ensure Upload Pattern contains adapter speed
tools.openocd.program.pattern="{program.path}/{program.cmd}" {program.verbose} -s "{program.path}/share/openocd/scripts/" -f "interface/{openocddebugger}" -c "adapter_khz 5000" -f "board/{upload.openocdscript}" -c "echo -n {****[vMicro]**** Uploading App :}" -c "telnet_port disabled; program {{runtime.platform.path}/tools/partitions/boot_app0.bin} 0xe000" -c "echo -n {****[vMicro]**** Uploading Bootloader :}" -c "program {{build.path}/{build.project_name}.bootloader.bin} {build.bootloader_addr}"  -c "echo -n {****[vMicro]**** Uploading Sketch :}" -c "program {{build.path}/{build.project_name}.bin} 0x10000"  -c "echo -n {****[vMicro]**** Uploading Partitions :}" -c "program {{build.path}/{build.project_name}.partitions.bin} 0x8000 reset; shutdown" 

Let us know if you continue to have issues.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2022 at 10:24am by Simon@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Craig Stephan

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2022 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Starting with "Debug via USB", I can connect my PC to the UART microUSB port on the Espressif ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 and successfully upload the compiled program. Using the Serial debugger option, I can set breakpoints and step through the code. Is there a way to see the local variables using the Serial debugger? Must I use the ESP-PROG to see variables?

-----------------

When using the ESP-PROG with the JTAG connections that you show in your guide, I am unable to scan the JTAG device ID of the ESP3S3 device. Are there any tricks to allow the ESP-PROG to communicate with the ESP32S3 via the GPIO39 - GPIO42 IO pins? Your diagram shows a 20-pin header, but my ESP-PROG has a 10-pin 0.100" header. does the RST pin have to be asserted hi or low?

Thanks for getting us going.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2022 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Please see "Showing Text and Watching Expressions When a Breakpoint is Hit" in the Docs 

https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Working-With-Breakpoints-Wh...

Doc index here:-
https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=index

I suggest creating a new thread for the PROG question.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2022 at 6:51pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Craig Stephan

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2022 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tim,
That link explained how to see the variables when using the serial debugger. I will open a new ticket for the case when I use the ESP-PROG.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint