Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) new user: 0 boards found when using selecting Arduino IDE 1.8.19 (Read 1821 times)
tonydavies
Newbies

new user: 0 boards found when using selecting Arduino IDE 1.8.19
Aug 29th, 2022 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Hi All

I have installed Visual Micro for VS 2022. I have both Arduino IDE 1.8.19  and 2.0.0rc9.2 installed on my windows 11 PC. Most of my projects and therefore boards/libraries are in the older IDE. I set up the IDE location tab in Visual Micro to point to my files and it finds the libraries, but not the boards. My locations are not the default Arduino locations as I have my files on onedrive and I wonder if that is causing an issue. I have included a shot of my IDE setup and also the boards error. 

Any help would be appreciated
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2022 at 1:26pm by tonydavies »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: new user: 0 boards found when using selecting Arduino IDE 1.8.19
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
You should remove all of the paths that you have entered.

The Arduino IDE location needs to be the location where the arduino.exe is installed, (not the window shortcut location)

The Setup section of the docs show a bare bones example.

https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=First-steps.html

Dont fill in any other paths. When the IDE path is correct the boards will be available in the platform explorer.

When the boards are showing the libraries will probably also be visible. If not let us know and we will explain one other path that needs to be configured.

IP Logged

tonydavies
Newbies

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim

I've removed all other links and the boards are still missing, but since my sketches/libraries are not in the default locations, there are also now missing. My exe is located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

which was the default installation.

tony

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Ah I see thanks. You can set the sketch book path and downloaded contributions paths because it sounds like you understand how they work.

If the Arduino version you installed is from the windows store then that won't work due to permissions issues. Can you install the normal 1.x ide from this page? Use either the installer or the zip.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/software

IP Logged

tonydavies
Newbies

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Tim

My install was a windows store app but once I read the visual micro docs I uninstalled it and got the stand alone exe from the Arduino site. 

Since my libraries/sketches are not in the default locations, I thought that the new install would not cause an issue. I am thinking that the windows store app uninstall may have left some registry settings or similar that the new install is using. 

It's not the end of the world as the Arduino 2 profile works fine (that was always a download from arduino). The 2 profile is missing some boards/libraries that I need, but I can just reinstall those. I will try and find out what is going on with the 1.8 profile, I'll let you know if I work it out

Tony

IP Logged

tonydavies
Newbies

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Tim , quick question

Do you use preferences.txt to locate files? I have just checked the Arduino15 folder and there is a new folder called .vMicroCache in there with some json files named after my boards, so the visual micro plug in must be accessing that

Tony

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
We only use the preferences.txt to find the sketch book folder if one has been set in the Arduino IDE but has not been set in Visual Micro.

Have you installed a clean arduino ide using the link I gave previously and set the path in IDE locations? Can you show a new screen shot of IDE locations as it now is?

Any vm files you see on disk can be ignored.

IP Logged

tonydavies
Newbies

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Tim,

yes, my latest 1.8.19 install is from the Arduino site, same as your link.

I have attached 3 screen shots. 
1. Current IDE settings
2. showing all libraries are exposed 
3. showing no boards found and error if click View User Hardware folder (screenshot 3 on separate reply as only 2 images allowed)

I also tried putting the Arduino default location for boards in the folder for downloaded board packages text box and it still does not expose the boards (default =C:\Users\tony_\AppData\Local\Arduino15 and there are board packages in there)

Tony

IP Logged

tonydavies
Newbies

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
3rd screenshot

IP Logged

tonydavies
Newbies

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
a bit further. I hovered over the link to the hardware folder and found it was expecting to find a folder named 
C:\Users\tony_\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware

I created the folder and copied the files/folders from Arduino15 to the new folder. Now I don't get an error when clicking the link, but I don't get any boards either. I do get 2 more links inviting me to install boards/libraries from zip files though.

The screenshot shows what I get now when I click the View User Hardware Folder

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
That doesn't really help, its a step ahead.

Please clear all paths from IDE locations arduino 1.6/18 except for the IDE location. 

Please show the windows explorer contents of the folder entered into IDE location. We expect to see the arduino.exe.

After that we will restart the IDE just to make things easy. We expect then to see the board in the board list that come with the Arduino IDE, for example Arduino Uno.

nb the sketch book\hardware folder is normally for custom hardware, not downloaded packages but for now we want to ignore the sketch book path entirely and simply configure the IDE,

IP Logged

tonydavies
Newbies

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Ok, thanks. I sorted it. The problem was I didn't look closely enough at the file list in windows. When I wanted to find the folder for the arduino exe, I right clicked the icon from the windows start menu and selected Open File Location. I just assumed that would be the exe. But when I did a screen shot just now to put up here, I noticed the it exposed a shortcut, so I opened file location again and got to the exe. All works fine now. Sorry to waste your time and thanks.

I have been able to compile and upload a sketch and I am impressed by the plug in. I won't be going back to the Arduino IDE

tony

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Brilliant thanks for the update.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint