Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) ARM64 Version of Visual Micro Extension (Read 3400 times)
agravley
Newbies

ARM64 Version of Visual Micro Extension
Nov 27th, 2022 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Hey, I had posted on your extension page a few weeks ago about making a build of the extension that would work with the arm64 version of Visual Studio 2022. Is there any progress or thoughts on that?

The reason this is somewhat important to me personally is that I am on a M1 mac, which is basically a non-starter with Visual Studio, period. With Parallels, you can have an arm64 version of Windows 11 running, which brings a little hope to the table. Microsoft came out with a native arm64 preview version of Visual Studio 2022 earlier this year and I am hoping this will open up some avenues as far as tinkering goes.

I certainly don't "need" to use this for development, but I am pretty unhappy with PlatformIO and I am not the biggest VSCode fan. It works, but it would be great if I could use something better. 

I know most people don't care about mac users, but I think it would be neat that as more and more vendors support arm64, we could get some more software options via Windows 11.

Thank you for your consideration.

Arm64 VS2022 announcement: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/arm64-visual-studio/

See the article below on general instructions.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/now-introducing-arm64-support-for-vs...

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: ARM64 Version of Visual Micro Extension
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Plase try the latest release which includes beta for arm64. See the top of the list here.

https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES

Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2022 at 9:54pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

agravley
Newbies

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2022 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Hey, there is an issue with the install due to the Linux prerequisites, so it fails. There is only the Desktop C++ Workload. I attached the install log and vsconfig for you. Let me know if you need anything else.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2022 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Yes, sorry and thanks for the update. We read recently that we are waiting for Microsoft to release the Linux workload for ARM. It looks like it's on the list and higher up than most other workloads.

If you can up vote the Linux and Embedded development here that might help.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/VisualStudio?q=%5BARM64%5D&stateGrou...
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2022 at 2:33am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2022 at 2:34am
Print Post  
As a test, we have updated to beta2 that doesn't force any workloads. 

Please read the notes in the post. Thanks

Beta 2 ARM64

IP Logged

agravley
Newbies

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2022 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Thanks Tim! I will give this a shot tomorrow. I am seeing if I can get some folks to vote on that item too so it has a chance to get on the roadmap sooner rather than later. I completely understand and appreciate you trying.

IP Logged

agravley
Newbies

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2022 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Note that I am a new user, so excuse any "operator error" here. Note that some of these issues might be due to Windows 11.

I was able to install the extension and managed to get somewhere after installing Arduino IDE version 2.0.3, which I did not know was a pseudo requirement. 

I was able to get a test program to run, but it was a little bumpy due to ESP32 reset issues. If it matters, this is an Adafruit Matrix Portal M4 with an ESP32-WROOM-32E chip.

Intellisense seems to work ok, but I haven't done much more than a hello world at this point.

Once I got past the issues below, I was able to connect to the board, upload a program, and the serial monitor works great.

Immediate issues:
Board Manager is messed up. I can install boards within Arduino IDE and VMicro does see it, but the board manager within VS is blank.

https://capture.dropbox.com/AZy34wmnJoVTNKbY

Word wrap on some of the menus and tooltips doesn't seem to be working, so things are cut off.

Example:
Configure IDE Locations window.
https://capture.dropbox.com/7KeiY8fvHgXRMIq4

I was not able to get a screenshot of tooltips, but the one for the Dtr button on the Serial monitor window was one of them. Specifically the left side gets cut off as it goes out of view entirely. Normally tooltips start at where the mouse is, unless if it is too far to the right or something, so the left side of the tooltip box lines up with the arrow. This one does not and can get cut off as it tries to make the tooltip the entire width of your screen instead of a less wide version with word wrap.

I will continue to play with it on and off this week and will let you know what else I find out. I am just happy I managed to get this far!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2022 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Thanks very much for the testing. 

You are right, normally you do not need to install arduino 2. We will try to reproduce. Some info that might be useful.

The "Arduino 2" application in the vMicro menu apps will certainly look to see if arduino2 is installed but should continue without issue if it is not.

The "visual micro" application in the vMicro apps menu will not try to look for arduino2.

In both cases the default location that is expected for downloaded board manager packages is usually "C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages"

For arduino2, we attempt to discover C:\Users\[your name]\.arduinoIDE\arduino-cli.yaml. If found, its contents can alter the location that we look in for downloaded packages. It also provides the list of index.json urls that have been configured in arduino2. 

If we cannot find the board index json urls from arduino2, then you need to add them into visual micro to see the packages that you have installed/downloaded via arduino2.

You can add json index urls by dropping down the vMicro>Apps list and clicking the "Confirgure IDE Locations". The default arduino.cc index url should always be active (avr,sam,samd etc). 

After adding urls click vMicro>general>rescan or restart the ide. You should then see a lits of boards on the vMicro menu or tool bar.

The paths mentioned above are obtained from environment variables such as USER_PROFILE and USER_APP_DATA  (can't recall exact names right now)

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2022 at 2:26am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
In the platform explorer, if you drop the IDE list down and select Visual Micro. Do the tabs still fail to load?

Thanks

IP Logged

agravley
Newbies

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
vMicro does seem to see libraries and boards I install via Arduino2, but the entire vMicro explorer is broken as shown in the previous post. My explorer doesn't look like it is shown in your User Guide.

https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Library-Manager.html

I am able to "add" the ArduinoHttpLibrary, but it doesn't seem to be working. I have tried rescanning a few times and restarting Visual Studio, but no luck.

https://capture.dropbox.com/EboZ2rwYPPvYhQ57

Again, empty Micro Explorer:
https://capture.dropbox.com/ZSgLYT6OXFoKf5W3

I do have the folders you mentioned and I presume that is where vMicro found the board after I installed it with Arduino2.

C:\Users\alison\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages

C:\Users\alison\.arduinoIDE\arduino-cli.yaml
Here is what is in the YAML:
Code
Select All
board_manager:
  additional_urls:
  - https://adafruit.github.io/arduino-board-index/package_adafruit_index.json
daemon:
  port: "50051"
directories:
  builtin:
  libraries: C:\Users\alison\AppData\Local\Arduino15\libraries
  data: c:\Users\alison\AppData\Local\Arduino15
  downloads: C:\Users\alison\AppData\Local\Arduino15\staging
  user: \\mac\Home\Documents\Arduino
library:
  enable_unsafe_install: false
locale: en
logging:
  file: ""
  format: text
  level: info
metrics:
  addr: :9090
  enabled: true
output:
  no_color: false
sketch:
  always_export_binaries: false
updater:
  enable_notification: true 

I cannot explain the empty vMicro Explorer, but I wonder if the issue with the "user" libraries is due to it being a network location. I can try changing that if you think it would help.

IP Logged

agravley
Newbies

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Dec 7th, 2022 at 3:41pm:
In the platform explorer, if you drop the IDE list down and select Visual Micro. Do the tabs still fail to load?

Thanks

Yes. I have tried selecting each one and they are all blank.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. Ignoring the explorer for now.

It might be an idea to try changing the network path for the "user" as a test.

Can you please follow the guide in yellow at the top of this page so that we can see the config.

Thanks

IP Logged

agravley
Newbies

Reply #12 - Dec 8th, 2022 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Ok, so moving both the entire solution and all of the libraries to a "local" location instead of a network location made things behave within the editor. It could actually build before, but all of the intellisense would say that it couldn't find anything, including, at times, source/header files added to the project itself.

I included 3 output files. One has all of the libraries and solution on the local drive. Two has all of the libraries on the local drive, but the solution on the network drive. Three has the libraries and solution on the network drive.

I think there is a permission issue going on somewhere and I am trying to nail that down. Going through the Windows 11 security settings yet again and some investigation into Parallels. I have made every effort to "allow" everything already, but I could have missed something. I will continue to look in to things over the next couple days and will let you know.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2022 at 3:10am
Print Post  
There is an updated version that might improve the platform explorer. The update includes all other imrpovements for the standard releases. 

We haven't yet explorerd the network paths issue but the version .

https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1669757665/1#1

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint