Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Compiler Error in breakpoints (Read 4517 times)
Dennis Hill
Developer

Compiler Error in breakpoints
Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Would it be possible to add {variable} checking inside the break-point declarations? 

A typo inside the "When Breakpoint is Hit" - "Print Message" should create an error and not allow the dialog box to close.

I miss typed a name of a variable in the print message declaration and the compiler raised an error, but it was tough to track down.

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Re: Compiler Error in breakpoints
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Tim might have to answer this one but I would think it will be a problem to detect a variable problem like yours. The breakpoint stuff is some code that is included in your sketch that allows VM to send the variable data over the serial link. I dont think the actual source code is scanned by VM to make sure that variable is correct.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I've been trying to find a way to handle this. The dialogs are std vs cpp dialogs not vm dialogs and they don't have the syntax checking options. Also vs only provides source API for global variables and not local variables so we need some very clever. Oops Smiley

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Dennis,
I have a problem typing letters the wrong way round in words. So for me copy and paste is master. Hence I dont have the problem to often.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Me too Smiley I've been thinking of adding a toolwindow to show a list of breakpoints and their properties. This would allow for more breakpoint properties relevant to arduino. Its easier to copy and paste to a tool window and it might make the condition more visible

Better error handling showing injected conditions for any error lines of a debug compile would also help

IP Logged

Dennis Hill
Developer

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the fast replies; now that I have done it I doubt it will happen again too soon. At least I'll have an idea where to look first.

I didn't think it would be hard to validate the variables in the break-point before the compiler catches it. 

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint