Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic May 9th 2013 - Release Candidate - Install Fail (Read 7958 times)
Dennis Hill
Developer

May 9th 2013 - Release Candidate - Install Fail
May 10th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim,
Well I installed the 5/9 release on top of my existing AS6.1 and it appeared to have installed without error. 

But upon start of AS 6.1 I didn't receive the "First Time" dialog to point to the Arduino IDE.

The "Arduino" menu item is NOT listed under the tools menu and there is no evidence of the VM extension being present.

I have VS2010 Pro installed on this machine also(if it makes any difference) and I do have the VM extensions present on it, but I don't know if it is the new version (how do you tell).

Thanks for any help you can provide.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2013 at 2:28pm by Dennis Hill »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: May 9th 2013 - Release Candidate
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Dennis,

There is only one version and because it was setup in VS you would not see an Atmel Studio first time setup window. You can see the version in VS Tools>Options>Visual Micro>Version. It should be 1305.09

The problem sounds like one of two things, annoying that the worst of the bugs are with the damned Microsoft msi system!!

To fix this you need to know where vm is installed? Are you 64 bit or 32 bit? It will be slightly different. 32 bit is normally c:\program files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino

1) Tools>Options>Addins/Macro Security>Addin Locations

The "addin locations" is the list of paths searched for addins. The Visual Micro path must be in this list. If not then please add. If a wrong vm path exists in the list then please let me know what it is.

2) In the vm program folder you will find a "Visual.Micro.Arduino.AS6.addin" file. It is a text file. Edit it with notepad and ensure that the TWO paths in the file point to the vm program files location which is also the location of the .addin files.

Look forward to hearing

Thanks

IP Logged

Dennis Hill
Developer

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2013 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the fast response Tim and to cut to the chase it is FIXED my friend!

To answer your questions:

There is only one version and because it was setup in VS you would not see an Atmel Studio first time setup window. You can see the version in VS Tools>Options>Visual Micro>Version. It should be 1305.09

I checked VS2010 Pro and indeed it had been updated to 1.1305.09...

Are you 64 bit or 32 bit?
I am 64 bit Win 7.

<AS 6.1> 1) Tools>Options>Addins/Macro Security>Addin Locations

There was no path listed here so I added it;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino

2) In the vm program folder you will find a "Visual.Micro.Arduino.AS6.addin" file. It is a text file. Edit it with notepad and ensure that the TWO paths in the file point to the vm program files location which is also the location of the .addin files.

I did find two paths referring to VM:

<Assembly>C:\Program Files (x8)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Visual.Micro.AS6.dll</Assembly>
and
<SubCategory Name="General">
                       <Assembly>C:\Program Files (x8)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino\Visual.Micro.AS6.dll</Assembly>
                       ssName>
                 </SubCategory>

It is easy to see what is hosed in these xml tags, the "6" is missing as in the proper path to the files being:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Micro\Visual Micro for Arduino"

I changed the path and restarted AS 6.1 and all is well.

Is this a common problem with installs with VS?
I plan on doing another video now you have AS 6.1 working with your wonderful plugin and wonder if I should discuss this fix.

Do we need to pay for the debugger now, I remember seeing something about an email but I haven't received one with a beta serial to use.

Thanks,

Dennis

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Great news and thanks for the great report.

What I have to look into is why the path management side of the as6 registration process failed. 

In the last version, I purposely set the (x8) without the 6 because the installer is supposed to ALWAYS overwrite the default path with the one selected by users during the install (forgot to change it back after my successful test). The path I set as default should never be used so should not cause a breakage. 32 bit users reported this failure and I needed to be sure the problem applied to both 32 and 64 but it didn't prove to be the case. The installer is so simple yet so annoying!!

I will refresh the build this weekend with either a fix or a correct path for 64 bit users. Hopefully a fix!

As concerns debug, you should be presented with the "activate new license window" when you attempt to enable debug. The window allows for a 30 day trial or to enter a license key.

You are right, I hope to email all beta testers this weekend with a free license key, so in the meantime please click the "30 day" trial button.

One area I have had little time to test is how the system responds for existing beta testers who already have a project with Micro Debug=True. I am hoping that when you try to debug the license/trial window appears automatically. If not then the fix would be to set (Micro Debug=False) then back to True again. Please let me know how this works for you because I don't want to annoy all the beta testers letting them think the debugger is not available to them Smiley

New users will see the license prompt after entering their Arduino location (which, in the latest release, is prompted in a pretty new window when Vm starts without an Arduino location). If users cancel the auto prompt for a debugger license at start-up then the prompt will appear again each time they attempt to enable (Micro Debug) until they are licensed or the trial has started. 

Prior to starting the trial, you can test all this by clearing or renaming the "HKCurrentUser\Software\Visual Micro\Locations\Arduino Application" registry key and starting vs or as6.

It's very useful that you make videos!! thanks. If you need license keys or other settings that allow you to more easily demonstrate the system then please drop me a pm.

Sorry for the quick dump but I want to fix the installer problem and finish the arduino 1.5 library work. The latest release will compile simple Due sketches as long as they don't #include and libs. I think that Atmel would like to see the Due being pushed so it's a great candidate for your example (possibly).
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2013 at 7:31pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2013 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I have refreshed the build on codeplex with an interim fix for the default path name mistake mentioned above. Out of interest, did you try running the install again and clicking repair? I think that would have fixed it.

I will sort this out properly during next few days so it won't be something that other users need to know about  Cheesy

IP Logged

Dennis Hill
Developer

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Yes I did run the install twice.

When it failed the first time I downloaded a new copy to eliminate a bad copy and when it executed I was offered two options:

Repair
Uninstall

I chose repair and then when it failed I posted this question.

Hope this helps....

Regarding the other post about:

One area I have had little time to test is how the system responds for existing beta testers who already have a project with Micro Debug=Full

I had already activated debug once the install was fixed so I couldn't do a dry test for you.

If I clear the Visual Micro registry values, will this reset the trial license? Or has it registered the generated serial for my copy?

I don't mind breaking things if you want to test.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2013 at 7:04pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
For re-activation testing it's best to hold on a little while thanks. If you reset the license key during the trial you won;t be able to restart.

I'll send you a test key shortly, normal keys can be activated and deactivated unlimited times.

The deactivation system needs a bit of work but here is how to do it (when you get the key).

Tools>Options>Visual Micro>Application Features>Debugger License Key

If you enter a key in this property the activation will be attempted, if you enter an invalid key or some rubbish the activation will fail. In either case, when you clear the contents of the license key option and click okay you will be prompted to "deactivate?"

I will improve the activation and deactivation system after feed back. I am trying to keep it out of the way so that it does not annoy people.

So to be clear, there are two ways to activate. Either via the auto prompt which would appreciate some testing or via Tools>Options. Tools options will also show you how long your trial hes to run.

Thanks again, sorry it's not well documented yet. This help is appreciated.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint