Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Will Atmel Studio provide more flexibily? (Read 4926 times)
Marc Jacobi

Will Atmel Studio provide more flexibily?
May 14th, 2013 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I am unfamiliar with Atmel Studio - I am familiar with Visual Studio  Wink

Will I be able to break out of the Arduino-compatibility standard using Atmel Studio? With or without Visual Micro?

Thanx.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Will Atmel Studio provide more flexibily?
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2013 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Good question. The answer is yes although some of this will be possible also in VS

The VS solution is currently better, the intellisense and code explorers of vs are better but I think Atmel will continue to improve.

Atmel have said they would like to help create scripts to allow advanced users to migrate from Arduino to raw AVR/ARM however this won't be considered further until we have a stable period of Arduino compatibility. This helps keep the support problems for me to a manageable amount.

Furthermore there is no reason why we do not have half way houses, part Arduino and part not. The Atmel Studio project property pages (tool chain) are quite well designed for this purpose.

In the current system you can break out of Arduino in various ways and of course you can always use AVR syntax in all arduino projects.

This is a big topic, it would help if you describe you objectives and which parts you consider to be "arduino compatible". Remember that your hardware has the arduino bootloader pre-installed, will you be dumping that and cleaning your chips?

Examples of what you can already do:-

1) Disable auto generation of prototypes

2) Compile without using the arduino core (see APM SITL and HAL examples on visualmicro.com, also see the advanced board configuration properties). the SITL example is a great example because we compile a program using cygwin that runs under windows. However, I do not provide support for this because users are expected to know what they are doing Smiley

So what do you want to do? Use your own libraries instead o Arduino? Work without the arduino code? native AVR????

Thanks

IP Logged

Marc Jacobi

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2013 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I am thinking of restructuring my Arduino Template Library into something that can be used with Arduino and plain AVR. The way library is going (and my thoughts around it) is that I will implement my own versions for all the major library based on the template mechanisms I'm using. Those mechanisms is what would make application on a broader range than just Arduino possible. Also a lot of the code is structured in a way that there are no dependencies - to Arduino or anything else.

I want users to use my library on a per-file basis. I understand that the Arduino libraries are easy for novice users but I find it a pain.

Currently I work with VM in VS2010 but that also doesn't allow me the freedom that I seek. So I when I say I don't want Arduino-compatibility, I mean I want to have the freedom to do as I see fit, to have a project structure that suits me and is not dictated/restricted by some standard that was designed for beginners. 

Bootloaders is not my concern. I make a library and how the users get their program onto the chip is their business. Personally I see nothing wrong with the Arduino bootloader as it stands now. Never had any problems.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2013 at 5:08pm by Marc Jacobi »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2013 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Sounds great.

If you can come up with a set of features, options or modifications that would give you what you need via the plugin then I would be interested but it sounds like you could configure Atmel Studio yourself for your compilations.

IP Logged

soundararajan
Newbies

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Hi,
As i understand you are trying to create a library that should be easily referenced by  other project. To do this in Atmel studio environemt, you could perhaps try the FDK feature in atmel studio 6.1 or >. This is designed specifically to achieve this. 
This will work seemlessly for Arduino projects as well. For more information on this, please search for FDK in the Atmel studio help.

Thanks
Soundararajan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint