Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) AS6.1 VM extension unable to create the project. (Read 14543 times)
Ed edsyl
Newbies

AS6.1 VM extension unable to create the project.
May 23rd, 2013 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
After installation of the extension under Studio 6.1, I am unable to create an Arduino project. I continually get the message after checking all the paths and what have you. Installing the patch does not help either.
I uninstalled everything and reinstalled. Interestingly, I was never asked where the Arduimo software was after the re-installation of Studio 6. Also, the VM never shows up as an installed extension.

I DO see a message at the bottom of AS6.1 upon initialization:
Visual Micro: Invalid Visual Studio SETUP Request Detected - Exiting visual micro setup due to an invalid visual studio cm_uisetup request!

I'm stumped on this one.

I can see all the menus and pull downs, but unable to create a project.

Any ideas?

Regards
ED

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: AS6.1 VM extension unable to create the project.
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2013 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed report.

You will only be prompted for the arduino location if it has not previously been set. You can change it in Tools>Options>Application Locations

It sounds like the addin is having problems loading. You could try running the resetaddin as detailed below but I am not sure this will allow it to load correctly. 

The invalid setup message was added to the plugin for the couple of users that were hitting this problem, so that we could more easily know when we were hitting this problem. Otherwise things just didn't work as you have also described.

This is a Visual Studio problem and possibly connected to Visual Studios use of OLE for the command bars and menus. To cut a long story short I would initially suggest running a windows update and ensuring that any other versions of microsoft applications and especially visual studio are fully up to date with service packs.

Can you confirm if you downloaded atmel with shell or without, which version of atmel 6.1 you have installed, which version of windows you are using and when you last ran all the updates and applied all the service packs?

Running the visual micro or atmel installers will not fix this problem (I am sorry to say), in fact the mv installer is very simple and you certainly have it installed correctly.

Looking forward to an update

Thanks

/resetaddin

ps: please also confirm what other extensions or addin you have loaded in atmel studio. you can see these via Tools>Addin manager and Tools>Extension Manager
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2013 at 3:35pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Ed edsyl
Newbies

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Thinking along the same lines as you I uninstalled ALL of the MS stuff completely then  reset and installed AS6.1 using the FULL install from the Atmel web site. I used the extension manager to add the vm extension as before, but was not asked for a location. This makes me think that even though there was an uninstall, certain things seem to be persistent, do not know what or why  that would be.
The vm extension never shows up as an installed extension in the extension manager even though I can see the pull downs and TRY to create an Arduino project that ultimately fails.

One source of confusion here is the differeence in the options menus between AS6.1 and VStudio.

The paths or the correct things to use to reset the add in was not clear to me from the link as they seem to be VS specific not AS6.1.

Regards
ED

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The location you set for the arduino ide is not removed when you uninstall. It is a simple reg key which will not cause any of the program to persist. Sorry for the confusion but vm is installed just fine.

The \resetaddin example in the link clearly shows the atmel studio syntax required to reset the addin. Remember that Atmel Studio is visual studio so visual micro uses a common object name but the examle clearly states how to ensure that atmel is passed the /resetaddin command

The addin is not an extension, it is an addin and should appear in Tools>Addin Manager"?

If you have Tools>Arduino then the addin is loaded correctly.

Did you do a windows update? Do any other addins appear in Tools>Addin Manager

Thanks

IP Logged

Ed edsyl
Newbies

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
quote author=72777E7A7D130 link=1369322495/3#3 date=1369325155]Hi,

The location you set for the arduino ide is not removed when you uninstall. It is a simple reg key which will not cause any of the program to persist. Sorry for the confusion but vm is installed just fine.

The \resetaddin example in the link clearly shows the atmel studio syntax required to reset the addin. Remember that Atmel Studio is visual studio so visual micro uses a common object name but the examle clearly states how to ensure that atmel is passed the /resetaddin command

The addin is not an extension, it is an addin and should appear in Tools>Addin Manager"?

If you have Tools>Arduino then the addin is loaded correctly.

Did you do a windows update? Do any other addins appear in Tools>Addin Manager
Yes I did a Windows update to upate all the MS stuff that was installed and there are NO other add-ins present. To clarify, this is NOT an extension, and as such will never show up as an installed extension in AS6.1?

Thanks [/quote]

What can you tell me as to what is happening so that  I cannot create the project? What is failing ?

Does it matter what the directory of the Arduino is called, as long as it finds what?
Regards
Ed

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Yes this will not show up in installed extension but it ill show up in "Tools>Addin Manager".

I know the addin is installed because of the error you see. This error means that Visual Studio is having a problem with the management of its tool bars and menus.

If the location you have entered for the arduino exe is wrong it will not cause this problem. To answer your question, the addin looks to see if a few known arduino folders exist below the "exe" folder. When you entered this location it did not cause any additional installation to be performed. This location is not critical to the basic initialization of the addin and you have having an initialization problem.

Please check to see if any other addins are shown in Tools>Addin Manager. Thanks

IP Logged

Ed edsyl
Newbies

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
No other add-ins at all, just vm
Regards
ED

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Ed,

This is not going to be very helpful, I am sorry you are having this trouble...

Atmel Studio and Visual Studio both use the office command bar system. This is where the problem lies. I believe you have some stray old office automation files on your computer that are prone to this issue.

It is certainly a weak area of VS although fortunately for others, most are not affected by this problem.

In the couple of reported cases users have not been clear about what Microsoft updates they ran or what ms office products they re-installed to fix the problem but they seemed to know some history that helped them get to the bottom of things

All I can say to help, which is not much, is that visual micro and atmel studio are installed correctly. It is some other low level shared microsoft office components that are most likely causing the problem. It might even be that you previously installed a version of visual studio such as express that needed to be updated. 

If so, then I guess all you can do is re-install the software you uninstalled and hope that the correct components are update via windows or office update.

Sorry it's a bit lame but it's out of my control. Maybe you can summarize which ms apps you cleared from your machine. Painful I know!

IP Logged

Ed edsyl
Newbies

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
FWIW I am running Windows 7 x64 professional edition.
Nothing else weird about it at all.

I can use the Arduino tools with no issues at all.
Regards
ED

IP Logged

Ed edsyl
Newbies

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
how may i put a screen shot of the MS apps?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Yes you have a good setup and you will be able to use the Arduino tools in vs without any problem if you can get over this initialization problem.

It is a shame that you have hit this, actually we haven't had this reported for quite some time.

Approx, when did you install your windows 7? 
Have you performed an office update or just a windows update?
Have you uninstalled any Microsoft visual studio or office software?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
pls email to info [at] visualmicro.com, but also answer questions below about what you have uninstalled?

IP Logged

Ed edsyl
Newbies

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
I run the Windows update regularly, do not use the office one.
I wonder if there is a tool that can 'clean' out this mess.
I can uninstall all the .NET and Visual Studio stuff and start again if that would help?

Ed

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2013 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Hi Ed,

I don't think it is directly the vs stuff that is a problem it is some shared components.

Please try an office update, thanks

IP Logged

Ed edsyl
Newbies

Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2013 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Hmmm. Just how do I force that? When I go to Office update it redirects to Windows update?

THanks
Ed

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2013 at 6:23pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2013 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Oh, it used to be different. Maybe you have to click about windows update these days to allow office updates

but you do have quite a few ms dev tools in the list

I notice you have the vs 2010 tools for office runtime installed, might be worth checking it is on the latest version

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35594

also look to see how to ensure all the other office and vs components are up to date.  (VS 2010 on SP1 is fine)

I have added your image to your previous post which you can remove if required but it is useful

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint