Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic VS2017 / Arduino GDB 15.170430.0 / Zero (Read 3891 times)
Jonas Grumby
Newbies

VS2017 / Arduino GDB 15.170430.0 / Zero
May 1st, 2017 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
First-time poster.  First, thanks for a fantastic product and your dedication to support.  It is very much appreciated!

I've been configuring VS2017 with GDB for an Arduino Zero over the past couple of weeks. It was basically working with the following versions:

Arduino GDB: 15.170415.4
VS Micro: 1704.28.Sp2

Upgraded last night to:

Arduino GDB: 15.170430.0
  VS Micro: 1704.30.3

Now a .NET exception is thrown and the debugger will not launch. Instead a dialog box opens asking to launch a new instance of VS 2017 (or VS2015).

Went back to last most recent version of Arduino GDB (15.170415.4) and latest version of VS Micro (1704.30.3), which now once again launches GDB, although now there are exceptions being thrown, source lines don't align with breakpoints, and F10 causes descent into other source files, rather than stepping over.  Definitely not normal behavior.

I will try to find on this site and download the older version of VS Micro (1704.28.Sp2) to attempt to restore system to stable operation.  Will report if successful.

If you would like me to try additional things or provide more info, please advise.

Thank you again for the support.

-JG

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: VS2017 / Arduino GDB 15.170430.0 / Zero
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much for the report!

The extension has been updated to please install the new release.

A windows debugger statement was left in yesterdays build by mistake. You could have clicked cancel on the prompt, it wasn't an exception so all would continue okay but wrong and annoying!

It is useful to know the extension is being used. It's never easy to know what people are using and what features are  worth more time.

Please let me know how things go.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Jonas Grumby
Newbies

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2017 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Working again with update just posted:

Arduino GDB: 15.1704.30.2
VS Micro: 1704.30.3

Thank you!!!

Yes, the GDB support in VS Micro is excellent. I come from the JTAG/ICE side of things and quickly became dependent on hardware-level debugging. This was the reason for picking up a Zero and exploring GDB though VS Micro, which I had already come to love for general Arduino development in VS.

Again, thank you for the efforts. I know there are many topics that can consume your time and appreciate the feedback. Your support is spectacular.

May I also suggest a new Theme in the forum for GDB-related questions and issues?  There doesn't seem to be an obvious place to call home for such questions in the forum, and this might also make it easier for you to gauge the use of the GDB part of the product.

Again, many thanks for the support and prompt response.

-Jonas

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2017 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks! Yes good idea for GDB section.

If you have any other gdb capable boards then feel free to ask about them. I think the next few weeks will see some work towards adding gdb support for more boards as standard.

The gdb can be extended easily by you to support other boards if needed.

edit:

A specific gdb board now exists in this forum. I have moved the post to it and will move other to it shortly.

By the way, breakpoints showing in wrong file sounds more like the wrong build output was being used. Ensure that the Debug/Release (configuration) on the tool bar matches what was last uploaded. Gdb and Visual Micro use the output from the build to determine locations during debug. I don't think that was related to the different versions because that hasn't changed. Let me know if it happens again in the future, Thanks

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2017 at 2:05pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint