Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic VM debugger not operating as expected (Read 3420 times)
perigalacticon

VM debugger not operating as expected
Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Hello today I have a problem which is the VM debugger does not seem to work in my sketch.  I have 5 breakpoints with the continue execution option disabled and print statements in them.  I am not seeing serial print output in the serial monitor even from my own print statements in the code from the main loop however I do see them from the setup section.  There is no output from the debugger in the Output window.  There is no difference if VM debugging is selected or not.  I've never had this happen before.  After a few seconds the sketch (a FastLED animation on esp8266) pauses and a string is printed to the serial monitor about every second like "VMDPE_3:2:66042:34887:31155_VMDPE" which appears to be the millis printout.  I don't have any special options selected in the project properties that I can see as far as debugging.  Can someone help me fix this?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: VM debugger not operating as expected
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
It could be few things.

When you use serial.print() do you terminate your printing with a linefeed? println()?

Is the tool bar set to Release or Debug?

Do you prints work okay when debugging is OFF?

IP Logged

perigalacticon

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks, it was the Debug/Release was set to Release.  I haven't used that option before, what does it do exactly?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
If you upload when set to Debug then serial debugging is used.

If you upload when set to Release then normal arduino without debug is used.

If you upload using Debug then switch to Release without uploading again then visual micro will not start debug when the serial monitor opens yet the arduino is still sending debug messages and runs any debug commands on the chip.  Remember that the IDE and the Arduino are two separate entities and don't really know about each other.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
ps/tips: 

Make sure you open the solution (sln) not .ino file when you re-open projects.

Opening the Solution will retain your current settings and restore window layout etc.

If you don't see your "Solution" on the "File>Recent" menu, then click the Solution to activate it in the explorer then click "File>Save As". Saving the solution (even with same name) will force it onto the Recent menu.

When your solution is on the Recent menu you will have no need to use "File>Open Arduino" project, which is normally just used the first time you open an existing Arduino project in VS.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint