Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Problem with 'Startup Project' and size_t ambiguity (Read 2293 times)
Todd Osborne
Newbies

Problem with 'Startup Project' and size_t ambiguity
Feb 15th, 2019 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
I am evaluating Visual Micro now, and for the most part it works great. Being able to develop using a modern and capable IDE really speeds up the process. However, I am having 2 problems.

1) Visual Micro seems to ignore the Startup Project when building. I have a solution that has 1 Windows program and 2 Arduino projects. I have to unload one of the Arduino projects to build the other. Setting it as the Startup Project, like the manual says to do, has no impact, Visual Micro always builds the first Arduino project it finds. Loading and unloading projects is tiresome.

2) Visual Studio always complains about size_t be ambiguous. In my Arduino projects, I have cleared the Visual Studio include directory, and made sure that all include files are coming from the Teensy headers. There are no Windows or Visual C++ files being included, but the IDE still complains and underlines all size_t types. When I right click and choose "Peek" it finds 0 size_t to navigate to. If I right click and choose view the declaration, it jumps to the correct Teensy include file where size_t is defined.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Problem with 'Startup Project' and size_t ambiguity
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the post and good to hear things are going well. Answer and question below

Quote:
1) Visual Micro seems to ignore the Startup Project when building. I have a solution that has 1 Windows program and 2 Arduino projects. I have to unload one of the Arduino projects to build the other. Setting it as the Startup Project, like the manual says to do, has no impact, Visual Micro always builds the first Arduino project it finds. Loading and unloading projects is tiresome.

This behavior is optional. 

Why

The problem is that most arduino users do not understand the concept of a Visual Studio Start-up project. In fact they find it confusing. 

Default way of working

Therefore Visual Micro builds the project of the code that is active in the code editor. This means that is you are editing/viewing "Project1.ino" it will build when you click build. If you are editing/viewing "Project2.ino" then Project2 will build.

Using the Startup Project

If I recall you can enable use of Startup project by switching OFF vMicro>General>Active Code Has Priority Over Solution Explorer

Documentation

Maybe this needs to be documented better. If you have seen a link on visualmicro.com that is incorrect then please provide otherwise I will add to the docs.

Quote:
2) Visual Studio always complains about size_t be ambiguous. In my Arduino projects, I have cleared the Visual Studio include directory, and made sure that all include files are coming from the Teensy headers. There are no Windows or Visual C++ files being included, but the IDE still complains and underlines all size_t types. When I right click and choose "Peek" it finds 0 size_t to navigate to. If I right click and choose view the declaration, it jumps to the correct Teensy include file where size_t is defined.

Visual Micro manages the build process to ensure it is accurate but we leave a lot of intellisense to Visual Studio. 

Sometimes VS intellisense needs a little extra info for certain boards/platforms. Therefore, for intellisense reports please always state the board/mcu you are using and if not standard arduino then provide a link to the board support package or git repository. Failing that at least say the name of the board and hardware package.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:26pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Todd Osborne
Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your very quick response. I disabled the option you mentioned and Visual Micro does indeed build the startup project, so that issue is resolved. Thanks! As for the size_t issue, my build target is Teensy 3.2 and I have Visual Micro set to target Teensy 3.1/3.2.

IP Logged

Todd Osborne
Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Where I found the bad information about how the Startup Project defines which project to build came from https://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Projects-and-Solutions.html

which states...

The Startup Project
From all projects within a solution, exactly one project is the startup project. This is the project whose executable code will be uploaded to the board if you activate the Build & Upload command. If you have debugging enabled, this will also be the Arduino board and project that you are debugging. Building with multiple projects: VM does noit work this way anymore
You can change the startup project by right clicking on the project in Solution Explorer (indicated by the 2 and 3 above) and choosing "Set as Startup Project".

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Sorry I missed this response.

Thanks, yes the docs were currently being updated and we found that old reference.

Which version of visual studio or atmel are you using for teensy dev?

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2019 at 2:22am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Debug question moved to here
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2019 at 6:38pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint