Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Disassembly listing disappeared with the last upgrade (Read 4253 times)
Quigon

Disassembly listing disappeared with the last upgrade
Aug 23rd, 2020 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
As the title says since the last VM upgrade there appears to be no disassembly window. The appropriate parameter is set in VS2019 in the project settings is set to true.
The output window claims it is producing a disassembly listing but there's no window in the drop down list.
It also refers to a log file for details somewhere deep in the app data folder, but when navigated to it is 0 bytes long.
Any ideas?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Disassembly listing disappeared with the last upgrade
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the post. We will take a look. There has been a change because some newer boards produce an output that is huge, too much for the output window. Therefore it is supposed to cap the output window at 5Mb and write all to the file.

We will fix and release a patch during the week. I will update this thread after that. Please confirm which board you are using in case that is relevant when we look at it.

Thanks

IP Logged

Quigon

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the response.
The listing isn't there for either the mega board or the Due. I'm in the process of transferring a project from the mega to the due and that's when I first noticed it was missing.
Regards

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Can you confirm what IDE you are using (Visual Studio versions and Arduino Version)?

The build output shown in yellow above will also be useful.

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2020 at 1:41pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 11:51am
Print Post  
The latest release (20.07.08.9) has improved logging around the Disassembly View generation, and it will expose the command line to run the process manually if there is an error encountered.

Available at the top of this board: https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2020 at 11:52am by Simon@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Quigon

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Apologies for the delay, real work got in the way.
I'm using VS 2019 community edition version 16.7.2
The Arduino IDE version is 1.8.13
Visual Micro version is 2020.708.7

The text in the output window is:
Compiling debug version of 'Due_coil_winder' for 'Arduino Due (Programming Port)'
Program size: 92,944 bytes (used 18% of a 524,288 byte maximum) (16.33 secs)

Creating disassembled view
     Disassembled view creation complete
     Switch to the Output > Disassembly Window Or Open the Output File: file:///C:/Users/BLAH l_winder.ino_objDump.log

The log file is 0 bytes
There's no disassembly tab in the "show output from:" in the top left of the output window. Only "Micro build" is there. Hope that helps
Regards

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:41am
Print Post  
The latest release (20.07.08.9 and above) has improved logging around the Disassembly View generation, and it will expose the command line to run the process manually if there is an error encountered.

Available at the top of this board: https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:42am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Quigon

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
I have updated to the latest release. There is a disassembly window with the following text:
Code
Select All
ERROR: ObjDump failed to produce a result.
CMD: cmd.exe /S /C 4.8.3-2014q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe  -h -S -l ug\Due_coil_winder.ino.elf" > "C:\Users\Blah nder.ino_objDump.log"" 

The logfile is as before, 0 bytes long
Regards
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2020 at 5:19pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks, as you can see we are asking objdump.exe to write the results to the file and it is failing, producing a zero byte file.

Code
Select All
4.8.3-2014q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe"  -h -S -l ug\Due_coil_winder.ino.elf" > "C:\Users\Blah nder.ino_objDump.log" 

Can you please take the command that you see without the cmd.exe part (see above) and open windows cmd then run it. See if we gate the same issue.

I notice we have an extra " at the end of the entire command instead of a quote around the .exe, which we will remove in the next release, however it doesn't cause it to fail for us. I have corrected that in the example above.

This might also be the length of the file names or a long path issue. We can try to replicate that and convert to short 8.3 windows paths if that is the issue. 

You can test by changing the output .log path to somewhere shorter. The output .log paths is
Code
Select All
"C:\Users\Blah nder.ino_objDump.log"

You will also see similar for the .elf that is produced the dump from. You can copy the elf to the same simpler path and then change the elf path in the cmd
Code
Select All
"C:\Users\Blah  nder.ino.elf"

As you can see it is a simple external command. If you have time to make these tests and narrow down the issue that will be helpful but we will be able to look at it some more towards the end of the coming week.

Thanks

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2020 at 5:16pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Quigon

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Running the full command from a cmd prompt produces a "The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect" error

Copied the executable to the desktop along with the .elf file.
"arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe -h -S -l Due_coil_winder.ino.elf > Due_coil_winder.ino_objDump.log"
produces the listing file as expected

Added in the paths to original .elf and .log files
arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe -h -S -l "C:\Users\Blah l_winder.ino.elf" > "C:\Users\Blah l_winder.ino_objDump.log"
This also produces the listing file as expected

The character count for the path to and including the executable is 136 including spaces.
The whole command is 373 chars and the one that works from the desktop is 270 chars

Obviously I changed my user name for these text dumps but these have the same number of letters and a space as it is 2 words
I also looked at the avr version of the same project. Same result even though the tools for that are located in the Program files (x86) directory which is a shorter path.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2020 at 9:22pm by Quigon »  

IP Logged

Quigon

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I think I have found the error, the syntax for the command string has a missing " after the path to the application. Maybe that's where your extra " came from at the end of the string?

This works from a command prompt:

"C:\Users\Blah q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe" -h -S -l "C:\Users\Blah l_winder.ino.elf" > "C:\Users\Blah l_winder.ino_objDump.log"

The syntax appears to be: "Path to application" switches(-h etc) "Path to elf file" > "path to output file"

Hope that makes sense?

Update;
Managed a temp fix by putting a single " in the disassembly switches section of project properties

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2020 at 4:10pm by Quigon »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Haha, that a very good idea for a workaround. Yes I mentioned previously I has spotted the quotes issue. Actually the missing quote is there but at the end of the entire command, in the wrong place!

Thanks very much for the confirmation that is the issue. I have no idea why we didn't hit the issue, possibly related to windows version. 

In any event we will produce an update over the next day or two with the fix. I'll post a note here when the update is available but clicking the notifcations button on the releases forum board might also be useful.

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
We have published an update containing the fix detailed above, 20.07.08.12, which is available from the top of the below board:
https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES

Let us know if you encounter any further issues, and thanks again for the great reporting!

IP Logged

Quigon

Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Ok it now works as it should, thanks, but.....
If I change the optimization settings, clean the project as instructed then build, the disassembly listing fails. If I copy and paste the objdump string into a cmd window it runs as it should. 
Running the build again usually completes objdump correctly.
Hope that makes sense?

IP Logged

Quigon

Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Well it has quit working and gone back to just listing the mile long path to the .log file. 
If I run the string in a cmd window, it automatically opens a notepad window and populates it with a massive file of unintelligible gobbledygook. 
Closing Notepad results in a 0 byte long .log file being saved in the appropriate directory.
As I mentioned in the previous post the optimization settings did have an effect on the creation of the disassembly listing. This is no longer the case as it doesn't work with any settings.
I would suggest that the file is now bigger than Notepad is capable of opening

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Please provide the information requested in yellow above.

IP Logged

Quigon

Reply #16 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I appear to be missing something as I do not see anything in yellow on this page!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #17 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Which browser are you using? Can you please show a screen shot of page.

Thanks

IP Logged

Quigon

Reply #18 - Oct 4th, 2020 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Using Chrome

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #19 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Thanks for the report.

We believe we have identified the fix surrounding this, can you confirm running the below command manually results in the correct output file:-
Code
Select All
cmd.exe /S /C ""C:\Users\Ian 4q1\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe"  -h -S -l "C:\Users\Ian il_winder.ino.elf" > "C:\Users\Ian il_winder.ino_objDump.log"" 

If you have any errors from this command please let us know when possible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint