Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Atmel-ICE (UPDI) Hardware Debugger Will Not Start Visual Studio 2019 (Read 1875 times)
BillTr
Newbies

Atmel-ICE (UPDI) Hardware Debugger Will Not Start Visual Studio 2019
Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Project builds and uploads. However, if I try to start debugging it throws an error that is shown. It looks like a simple configuration error that should be easily addressed, installation didn't get it right. Just for grins the hardware debugger works fine in Atmel Studio 7 on non-Arduino projects. Installing VisualMicro broke hardware debug in Atmel Studio 7, I would rather use Visual Studio 2019 anyway. 

Please advise. I am trying to establish a stable environment using hardware debug for Arduino projects in VS2019. If this works then it looks like I will stick with Visual Micro.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:01pm by BillTr »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Atmel-ICE (UPDI) Hardware Debugger Will Not Start Visual Studio 2019
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Hi

Thanks for the info. 

The Visual Micro installer does not install usb drivers. Atmel and Arduino IDE do install usb drivers and do have some differences between usb drivers which does sometimes cause issues. It can depend on which drivers was installed last. 

To help us understand your config please follow the guide in yellow above. The build info in your zip is not enough.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:30pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

BillTr
Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
With all due respect I have both Verbose and Show Build Properties checked and I built the solution. What did I miss?

Also, I find your comment on the usb drivers interesting. I installed Atmel Studio 7 first and Arduino IDE second. Should I uninstall then reinstall Atmel Studio 7 again to have that be the latest?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 2:31am
Print Post  
I am not sure where the .buildinfo came from but it's just the basic build properties.

After you enable the settings you need to click debug start, then post what appears in the "Micro Build" output window (as .txt or by email with link to this post).

You also have the wrong debugger set as "Custom". I suggest you switch to Release and prove that you can upload same as Arduino IDE then we can point you to a doc showing how to choose the correct debug option for what you are trying to do.

Thanks

IP Logged

BillTr
Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
I have always been able to upload and have the program run. My apologies for stupidly forgetting to give you the upload. But, I have run into another more serious issue after trying to change board packages to another board then back again in order to reset the libraries. I can't change the target chip. See the zip file. Regardless of how I try to do it I can't get rid of the ATSAM3X8E chip and the uploader insists on JTAG which I don't have....

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 10:50am
Print Post  
If you create a new project, does the chip change as expected when the correct board is selected?

IP Logged

BillTr
Newbies

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
No. I even uninstalled Atmel Studio 7 then reinstalled, same thing. Same thing if using an IDE or if using only Visual Micro, no IDE. I have created a lot of new projects.... So maybe I will try uninstalling VisualMicro then putting it back again. I have to remove it from both Atmel Studio and Visual Studio.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2021 at 10:39pm by BillTr »  

IP Logged

BillTr
Newbies

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Update: I fixed the chip issue. I then uninstalled VisualMicro from VS2019 and from Atmel Studio then reinstalled it and started a new Arduino project from scratch. 

However, using the Board Manager DxCore libraries the build is broken. See the build and upload. Upload works but the program crashes straightaway. The chip is not defined even though I selected it. Debugger does not work, same error. And I cannot configure custom properties, if Hardware Debugger is selected that's all you get. 

After reinstalling VisualMicro the chip issue is back. VisualMicro is looking like a non-starter on both VS2019 and Microchip Studio 7.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2021 at 2:20am by BillTr »  

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
"And I cannot configure custom properties, if Hardware Debugger is selected that's all you get."
There are no integrated Hardware Debuggers for this board at present, beyond GDB Stub, or the manual configuration of GDB via the Custom Option (which uses the JSON file added from vMicro > Add Code > Custom GDB Debugger, further detail here)

The vMicro>Debugger>Export Web Debugger Is Enabled, which is only available for Serial Debugging, and is not compatible with Hardware debugging.

The GDBStub is a simple way to get most GDB Functionality without the hardware programmer, and no configuration is needed besides selecting it.

IP Logged

BillTr
Newbies

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Simon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint