Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

  • Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled
 
Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task (Read 1207 times)
andy007
Junior Member
**
Offline


Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 4th, 2018
Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Jun 24th, 2026 at 5:33am
Print Post  
Am I the only one having problems with VM and VS 2022 and VS2026?

VM 2026.422.2202

The serial monitor/port is completely malfunctioning and causing program crashes since the latest VS updates.

VM fixed it once, but now it's back to the way it was before the fix...

Working like this is impossible!  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2026 at 5:48am by andy007 »  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 2962
Joined: Feb 13th, 2019
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2026 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report, and we are working on these issues currently (though we are struggling to reproduce them locally).

Please attach a verbose build log so we can be sure which serial monitor tools are in use, and if you find there are certain actions or situations this happens in (e.g. toggling RTS/DTR or a large amount of serial data) please let us know.

Also please attach the info from Help > About Microsoft Visual Studio from your affected versions.

If possible can you try the below tests to help us understand which changes could be affecting this:

1) Use Old Serial Monitor
This can be done by Uninstalling Visual Micro from Extension Manager, then manually installing the below version (2026.0223.01):
https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1771862441

2) Use Synchronous vMicro
This can be done by Uninstalling Visual Micro from Extension Manager, then manually installing the below version (2025.0721.08):
https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1758291870
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
andy007
Junior Member
**
Offline


Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 4th, 2018
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2026 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Ich kann momentan nicht helfen den Fehler zu lokalisieren, zumal ich das ja bereits schon gemacht  hatte und es nichts gebracht hat. 
Ehrlich gesagt ist es mir verleidet und ich bin auf ide2 abgestiegen, da VS2022/2026 nicht brauchbar ist wegen den andauernden Hänger und Blockierungen. Ich hätte das update  gar nicht machen sollen, nur schade ums Geld.  Angry
Anscheinend bin ich der Einzige der das Problem hat.
Und bock habe ich auch  nicht auf alte Software  umzusteigen ich habe schliesslich für eine neue Software Bezahlt aber  der Fehler ist nun so lange her und ist immer noch, da fragt sich doch  der eine  oder andere... ist das Produkt tot?!  Smiley

Freundliche Grüsse

I used the simply original Arduino UNO 3.x  at this time.


I can't help locate the error right now, especially since I've already tried that and it didn't help.

Honestly, I'm fed up and have downgraded to IDE2, since VS2022/2026 is unusable due to the constant freezes and crashes. I shouldn't have updated at all; it's just a waste of money. Sad
Apparently, I'm the only one with this problem.
And I'm not keen on switching back to old software. After all, I paid for new software, but the error has been around for so long and is still there. It makes you wonder... is the product dead?!  Smiley
Regards
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2026 at 8:25am by andy007 »  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 12237
Location: United Kingdom
Joined: Apr 10th, 2010
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2026 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Hello,

The issue back in 2018 was resolved. More recently we updated to use "board vendor" supplied serial.

Can you confirm if the issue happens in release more (without the serial debugger)

A build output (as file) will also help because now the serial is board/vendor specific.

Thanks
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
andy007
Junior Member
**
Offline


Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 4th, 2018
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2026 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Good day.

This has nothing to do with 2018.

I've only had this problem since I started using 2022 and 2026 (both installed). (I haven't migrated everything from 2022 to 2026 yet.)

I installed VS ...21 as well as the corrected version ...22 that you sent, which stopped working after the latest VS update. After reinstalling VS ...21, the problem was somewhat less severe. ...22 isn't official, as far as I can tell.

It's not the picture, but the RTS and DTS signals. For example, if RTS is disabled (on the UNO), it almost never occurs.

I think your error is still causing you problems. Something is definitely wrong with the Serial Monitor. From what I've seen, strange characters sometimes appear, like you'd expect from ESP, but I've never seen that on the UNO before, although it does appear occasionally. I can't help any further, and it's incredibly frustrating. It's like an endless loop, and nobody seems to care. Everyone working with it apparently doesn't have a problem or isn't bothered by it... I don't understand it. This isn't directed at you or VS, but it's truly unbearable. That's why I'm now using IDE2.

Kind regards
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 12237
Location: United Kingdom
Joined: Apr 10th, 2010
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2026 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Ah, I got confused with the dates in this thread. 

Thanks that is useful info. We need to see the build output requested in yellow at the top of this page.

I can't see as an attachment with that info in this thread. Did you email it?

It is important because it also provides usb, debug settings and other useful info. Not just build.

and yes, you should not need to downgrade or use different versions.

Thanks
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
andy007
Junior Member
**
Offline


Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 4th, 2018
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2026 at 2:27am
Print Post  
I cannot send build information if the program is blocked; I no longer have access to it and cannot save it. 

regards
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
andy007
Junior Member
**
Offline


Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 4th, 2018
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2026 at 3:24am
Print Post  
I think I've found the culprit:

- Load Project
- Open Monitor Arduino UNO
- Click «Auto Scroll» off on Monitor
- Recompile and Upload Project
- VS R.I.P

regards
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 2962
Joined: Feb 13th, 2019
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2026 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Thankyou for this detailed information and we can reproduce this crash now and will urgently work on the fix.

Ill update as soon as we have a build available to try.
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 2962
Joined: Feb 13th, 2019
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2026 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Thankyou again for the information and detail around this issue, can you try the latest version (26.0422.17) for VS2022/VS2026 which is available from the top of the below board:
https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES

This should resolve the deadlocks seen with the Upload and Serial Monitor opening, and Auto-Scroll clicks.

Let us know if this is improved when possible and we will keep working around this area to ensure any other issues are resolved.
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
andy007
Junior Member
**
Offline


Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 4th, 2018
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2026 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Hello
Thank you for work on repair

But i confused with the version new 26.0422.17 for VS 2022/VS2026

I sould be back from existing  26.0422.2201 for VS 2022/VS2026 
(downloaded from your main site)?

Edit:
I think wrong text...
After download  i found 26.0422.2217 
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2026 at 1:44pm by andy007 »  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 2962
Joined: Feb 13th, 2019
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #11 - Jul 6th, 2026 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Sorry yes, the main downloads on the Downloads Page are the Released versions, which are kept in sync with the Microsoft Marketplace.

The releases on the Forum can be released more often for testing, and only once proven out do we push to the Microsoft Marketplace and the Website Download Page and update the Release Notes page.

I hope that helps understand the version jumps...
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
andy007
Junior Member
**
Offline


Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 4th, 2018
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #12 - Jul 6th, 2026 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I tested it and no deadlock was detected anymore.  Cheesy
In VS2022 and VS2026

Thank you for your help. 
regards
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline


Posts: 2962
Joined: Feb 13th, 2019
Re: Crash after Upload, VS hang or crashed, use terminate Task
Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2026 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the prompt response and testing, if you see any further issues let us know.
  
Back to top
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint