Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Arduino IDE for Visual Studio

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-
  • Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties and Verbose
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

HomeSearch Tutorials & Wiki visualmicro.com LoginHelpRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ESP32 with ESP-PROG won't start debugging (Read 155 times)
DJ4000

Denmark
ESP32 with ESP-PROG won't start debugging
May 17th, 2020 at 10:25am

Upon clicking on "Start Debugging" using VS2019 and VSMicro, I have a successful compilation and upload to the ESP32 board (Adafruit ESP32 Feather), however I don't receive any message related to the start of the debugger session.  I had to unzip openocd myself as it was missing and not log for openocd are produced.  I have followed all the instructions regarding the installation of the USB driver, the cabling looks correct, debug mode, no optimization and Serial->Hardware selected with the ESP-PROG.  Not sure how to take it from here?

I have attached the end of the output file with Compiler and Uploader in verbose.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2020 at 10:26am by DJ4000 »  

IP Logged

Visual Micro
Administrator

United Kingdom
Re: ESP32 with ESP-PROG won't start debugging
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2020 at 11:41am

Thanks for the output but it is missing the build properties

Quote:
vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties and Verbose

IP Logged

DJ4000

Denmark
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2020 at 12:20pm

I have attached the entire output now.

IP Logged

Simon Hopkinson
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2020 at 2:08pm

Thanks for the output.

If there is no log at this location (which from the above there isnt)
Code:
C:\Users\didie\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBuilds\ESP32_Garden_Hub\esp32_featheresp32\Debug/ESP32_Garden_Hub.ino_DebugOpenOCD.log 

Please try running the below command in the command line:- (with board and debugger all connected as normal)
Code:
C:\ProgramData\vmicro\tools\openocd-espressif-esp32-10.0.1\bin/openocd.exe -d2 -s "C:\ProgramData\vmicro\tools\openocd-espressif-esp32-10.0.1/share/openocd/scripts/" -f "C:\ProgramData\vmicro\tools\openocd-espressif-esp32-10.0.1/share/openocd/scripts/interface/ftdi/minimodule-lowcost.cfg" -c "set ESP32_RTOS none" -f "C:\ProgramData\vmicro\tools\openocd-espressif-esp32-10.0.1/share/openocd/scripts/board/esp-wroom-32.cfg" -c "init" 

This should give more output as to what the problem is, please post this output or the log back when possible.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2020 at 2:09pm by Simon Hopkinson »  

IP Logged

DJ4000

Denmark
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2020 at 6:59pm

Clean the solution, delete VMBuilds and start debug again. Now I get a log file created (attached).  I got the message from vsmicro (attached).  Only the Esp32 board and the ESP-PROG are connected (attached).
C:\Users\didie\Pictures\SavedPictures\COMports.png

IP Logged

Simon Hopkinson
Administrator

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2020 at 11:23am

Thanks for the logs and information.

In the logs it shows the below message which is normally seen when the USB Driver has not been updated:
Code:
Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 0403, pid 6010, description 'Dual RS232-HS', serial '*' at bus location '*' 

Can you confirm you have used the Zadig tool to update the driver for this device on Interface 0?

IP Logged

DJ4000

Denmark
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2020 at 9:25am

Hi, sorry for the delay.  Busy week at work  Cool.
First, yes I did use Zadic to replace the driver. I have then switch the hardware from the Adafruit ESP32 to the Espressif DEvkitC and now the debugger is working just fine.
I have ordered another ESP-PROG, so I can try again with the Adafruit board without unplugging the one that works now.
In desperation, I also download and install PlatformIO last week, could that had an influence on vsmicro?
Thank you so much for your help.  I will keep you posted on the second attempt with the Adafruit board.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2020 at 9:26am by DJ4000 »  

IP Logged

Simon Hopkinson
Administrator

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2020 at 2:56pm

Thanks for the update and glad it is all working.

I don't believe PlatformIO should have an effect on the drivers, and we require the updated driver due to the software we use to communicate with the debugger.

I would expect the Adafruit ESP32 Feather board to work as expected, and let us know if there are any issues (NOTE: the driver may need installing again for the Adafruit board)

We have also published a video for Troubleshooting Hardware Debugging which works through this issue along with others, and links to the Troubleshooter Guide as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print