Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Help needed getting ESP Prog talking to ESP32 WROOM-32 (Read 3302 times)
Romulas
Newbies

Help needed getting ESP Prog talking to ESP32 WROOM-32
Oct 14th, 2021 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Hi I have been struggling to get my ESP Prog and ESP32 WROOM-32 working together.
Using VMicro I am able to upload the blink code example to the ESP32 via USB but not when attached to the ESP Prog.
I believe I have the wiring correct between the JTAG Header and the ESP32.IO 12,13,14,15,3v3 & Gnd.
I have used Zadig and confirmed the driver is working. I am only powering the ESP32 via the ESP Prog 3v3.

When I Compile and arrive at the Serial Port Connection stage I see the ESP Prog start to flash a green LED rapidly but the upload soon fails.

I have tried holding the boot button on the esp until the serial upload is about to occur.
I have tried powering the esp32 while holding in the boot button to place it into Flash Mode.

I have also tried using an ESP32-CAM as it is my only alternative ESP32 device but still no luck.

Are you able to see where I am going wrong. see files and compiler op's attached. Thanks Martin

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Romulas
Newbies

Re: Help needed getting ESP Prog talking to ESP32 WROOM-32
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Attaching some JTAG OP also.

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report.

The serial upload will only work if you have either:
A) Connected the ESP32 via the USB Lead to the PC
B) Run the Serial Passthrough wiring between the ESPPROG and ESP32 (shown here)

Alternatively you can use the vMicro > Uploader > Hardware Programmer option and set this to the ESP-PROG.  This will allow upload via the JTAG pins you already have connected.

IP Logged

Romulas
Newbies

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2021 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Thanks Simone. Both methods allow me to serial upload. I do need to hold down the boot button and momentarily press the reset on the ESP32 Wroom when the compile gets to the point of serial upload.  So the ESP Prog and ESP32 seem to be working but I still cant seem to get the Hardware debugging working. I have set vMicro Degug settings to Hardware.ESP Prog, No Optimisation and then try to start debug. Unfortunately I got "Unable to start debugging. Unable to establish a connection to GDB which I was able to resolve following the Hardware Troubleshooting Video. It almost works but fails with an error saying " Unable to start debugging. Unexpected GDB output from command "-target-select remote localhost:3333". Remote communication error. Target disconnected: success. Any thoughts on this error? There are no errors in the Output window.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2021 at 8:15am by Romulas »  

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2021 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Thanks for the update.

In the Output > Debug Window when the debug has failed there should be a reference to a log file in the build folder:
https://www.visualmicro.com/page/Troubleshooter-for-Debugging-an-Arduino-Sketch-...

If you could attach this we will be able to advise further.

IP Logged

Romulas
Newbies

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2021 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Hi Simone. Weirdly for this error there no message in the output build window but the log file does get updated. see attached.
The debugger gets to a green initializing bar but does not complete, The windows error message mentioned pops up and the top of the Visual Studio 2019 app gets a yellow bar with a message saying...
"Visual Studio stopped responding for  9 sec. Disabling the extension arduino ide fort visual studio2017/2019 2021.917.0 might help".  I will also past the Build Micro log after this post. I'm not sure if there is a better way to attach multiple files. Thanks Martin

IP Logged

Romulas
Newbies

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2021 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Also attached the build micro window op

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Thanks for the logs and detail.

The errors in the OpenOCD Log suggest there is a wiring issue between the ESP-PROG and ESP32:
Code
Select All
Error: JTAG scan chain interrogation failed: all ones
Error: Check JTAG interface, timings, target power, etc. 

Can you confirm all wires are connected as shown in the below image:
https://www.visualmicro.com/pics/Debug-Help-ESP32-PROG-JTAG-Connections.png

The Message about vMicro not responding will be when the debugger attaches it launches OpenOCD and GDB which take some time to fail fully.

IP Logged

Romulas
Newbies

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 5:20am
Print Post  
I have rechecked my wiring it matches the wiring on the link you provided.

I am surprised that I need to press and hold the boot button and momentarily press reset in order for the blink program to upload . Is this normal? Other Tutorial video's I've seen seem to indicate this shouldn't be required when using the JTAG cabling. Ill try and find a different ESP32 Wroom to see if I have the same issues.

IP Logged

Simon@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Thanks for the detail, and you shouldn't need to press the reset button.

One mistake I have previously made which can lead to this (and debug connection issues) is when your code is using one of the JTAG pins as an IO pin.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint